Is Upgrading Possiable?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TomPedersen

Baseband Member
I'm, Unfortunately, the owner of a Dell Dimension E521. I have added several upgrades to this dell over the years(ram,Gpu etc.) and have made it more "gamer friendly". The one thing that still bugs me is the processor, it uses a AM2 940 Socket Mobo(or so says CPUZ). I was wondering if it is possible to upgrade this dell with a new 940 socket Processor. The current processor is a AMD athlon 64 3200+. Please help me, please :(

I think adding a new CPU means you have to flash the bios, which can be locked on premade machines. But someone more qualified to answer should post here. I thought I would just throw out my two cents.

It depends, can you post up the make an model of your mobo so we can do a little googling an see what kind of support it offers.

rkagin yes most OEM bios's are locked but not for flashing, the are locked to prevent overclocking a BIOS flash can corret a number of issues, add new harware support, add more features to a motherboards BIOS.

Upgrading anything is possible, logical or practical to do so is the question.

My theory is aside from adding ram i wouldnt upgrade a store bought PC. The parts are more then the machine as a whole, plus the machines are so cheap these days. So if you can hold out for a few months save up for a few more "upgrades" and just buy a new dell/hp whatever.

Upgrading anything is possible, logical or practical to do so is the question.

My theory is aside from adding ram i wouldnt upgrade a store bought PC. The parts are more then the machine as a whole, plus the machines are so cheap these days. So if you can hold out for a few months save up for a few more "upgrades" and just buy a new dell/hp whatever.

horrific if you hold out with $500+ bucks you should build your own provided you don't need the monitor + peripherals

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom