Memtest failures...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Alright well it looks to me like your board is either having troubles running at voltages higher than 1.8 or a speed above 800MHz or it even could be both. Try running the Corsair's in O | O | at 667MHz and 1.8v and see if MemTest passes or fails.

Alright well it looks to me like your board is either having troubles running at voltages higher than 1.8 or a speed above 800MHz or it even could be both. Try running the Corsair's in O | O | at 667MHz and 1.8v and see if MemTest passes or fails.

Passed with those settings. You sir, are a genius. Does this prove that it is just the motherboard? It seems it could still be either the memory or the motherboard.

It's actually very unlikely that it is the memory. RAM isn't affected by voltages immediately. If you set the voltage too high they would die a few months later. The speed could be the problem for either but you can do another test to make sure it really is the speed. If you run them in the same setup but change the voltage to the recommended 2.1v and they pass, you know for sure it's the speed. If they fail then it is without a doubt your motherboard.

It's actually very unlikely that it is the memory. RAM isn't affected by voltages immediately. If you set the voltage too high they would die a few months later. The speed could be the problem for either but you can do another test to make sure it really is the speed. If you run them in the same setup but change the voltage to the recommended 2.1v and they pass, you know for sure it's the speed. If they fail then it is without a doubt your motherboard.

I did the same test with the new voltage, 667mhz @ 2.1v. Passed no problems. Still could be either the memory or the motherboard?

I was playing Counter Strike: Source last night on the settings above (667mhz @ 2.1v, 5-5-5-15) and got some weird artifacting. I alt-tabbed out and back in again, the artifacting was gone and never re-appeared. Isolated incident or possibly related to problems already being discussed?

Looks like this board is pretty picky about memory settings. I found this thread during a google search:
Problems with Biostar I45 build - Overclockers Forums

^^^^Sounds like that guy is having the same issues that I am. Does anyone on this forum have this board? If so, do you have any ideas or suggestions? I'm about to just start changing memory settings in the bios to see what I can get to happen. I'm getting desperate.

Artifacting isn't caused by memory. Next thing to try is lowering the timings to 4-4-4-12 at the same 667MHz. See if that stays stable. There really is only two things left to check.

Artifacting isn't caused by memory. Next thing to try is lowering the timings to 4-4-4-12 at the same 667MHz. See if that stays stable. There really is only two things left to check.

Those timings worked fine. Passed memtest no problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom