Windows XP won't install. I think it's Sasser. Can I get around it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

vikenk

Baseband Member
Hi all,

A friend of mine asked me for help. He's trying to upgrade his Windows ME to Windows XP. He's not formatting and installing clean, he's upgrading the existing OS.

Anyway, when he tries to install he gets this message:

"C:\\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe terminated unexpectedly with status code 1073741819"

I've looked into it and it seems to be the SASSER virus. He's downloaded all the "Stinger" tools and removal tools from Mcaffe and Symantec, but they find nothing.

It seems like, if it is the SASSER virus, it's infecting Windows XP on install, in which case I can't do a "shutdown -a".

Is there any way to get around this without having to format and install?? Thanks.

Viken Karaguesian

Well, from understading you cannot upgrade from ME cuz ME is FAT32...You may upgrade starting from Windows2000 and up cuz it's NTFS. there for you have to format.

Senseis said:
Well, from understading you cannot upgrade from ME cuz ME is FAT32...You may upgrade starting from Windows2000 and up cuz it's NTFS. there for you have to format.

I've upgraded 98 to xp on fat32

The way I got around my lsass.exe issue was to disconnect the computer from the internet, and install a firewall and disable the messenger service. Then restart and reconnect to the net and update windows. Hope that helps.

derrmc said:
I've upgraded 98 to xp on fat32

and did you have to format your drive:rolleyes:

no kidding xp can still be installed with FAT32. if you understood what i was saying is that it's suggested you use NTFS.

And why would you installl xp under FAT 32??:confused:

ummm I just recently setup my aunts comp I had mistakenly connected it to the net before shutting the stuff off. I got rid of sassar but all the sassar did was after it boot up windows it would say error message and restart the computer over and over and over... I was wondering if that has happend to anyone else

Was that what sassar did?

Thanks all for your replies. I'll try these things out next time I go to this friends house. He's away for the weekend.

I'll try disconnecting from the internet during the install and see if that helps. The more I "google" his problem, the more it seems to point o the Sasser virus. My friends compter continually reboots after the error message is displayed, which seems to be the exact symptoms of Sasser.

I know that Windows ME is not *affected* by Sasser, but does that mean the virus can't be on the computer at all? I mean, what if the virus is on the computer, but dormant? When he tries to install XP the virus comes out.

Maybe that's what's going on?

Viken

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom