New PSU and Video Card.

Status
Not open for further replies.
i have actually seen a dell board get shot cause of a more powerful psu. don't know how it works, but i've seen it done. what model dell is it?

Ouch.

Well there is an alternative. Run 2 power supplies. Run the dell PSU for all the dell harware, and run another PSU for the videocard. Its not ideal, but you can do it, i think there was a guide somewhere.

This is my current PSU.

psu2mz6.png

Someone from another forum said...
Apparently the combined 12V rail looks like it's rated at 30A, usually I'd say to look into another PSU, but if the PSU is fairly recent you could probably do away by just getting a graphics card. For your budget the obvious choice is the HD 4850.

Is this true?

30a over 2 rails isn't bad, but its more like 26-28a as you loose some of it for it being on 2 rails. i would say that actually isn't bad at all.. i mean you can try it out and if it doesn't work then your pc won't post and you'll have to get a new psu. but if it does work then sweet.

there is only one rail on ur psu and that will not run a 4850 with your current hardware. get the 450vx/550vx by corsair along with the 4850, you could also get a 9800gtx+ but its not advisable imo since the 4850 is a bit cheaper and offers very slightly better performance.

EDIT: i see its named VB, usually its +12v1/2, but anyway, assuming your psu is about 70% efficient or so under load you should be bale to handle it without upgrading ur psu. hard to say since usually dell/hp etc use psu's or poor quality or just enough to power what they have. try it out and see. since u got 36A combined you should be ok, after losing some for inefficiency and combination loss.

30a over 2 rails isn't bad, but its more like 26-28a as you loose some of it for it being on 2 rails. i would say that actually isn't bad at all.. i mean you can try it out and if it doesn't work then your pc won't post and you'll have to get a new psu. but if it does work then sweet.

So between the GeForce 8800 - 9600 and the Radeon 3870 - 4850 which would most likely be able to run off of that amount of amps?

all of those, note that 3870 is fairly old. for example i run a amd x2 overclocked, 8800gs heavily overclocked + 1hdd dvd 2 fans + gpu cooler. with a 38ow antec earthwatts psu rated at 30A or so amps over the 12v rails. i have seen someone run a 4870 in his system with the same psu and a intel dual or quad not sure (rican). youll have no problems running a 4850 hopefully.

yeah, the earthwatts is a great psu, i dunno how they managed to do it so well but **** they did it.. and yeah rican runs a dual core in both his systems. amd in one, e1200 i believe in the other.

all of those, note that 3870 is fairly old. for example i run a amd x2 overclocked, 8800gs heavily overclocked + 1hdd dvd 2 fans + gpu cooler. with a 38ow antec earthwatts psu rated at 30A or so amps over the 12v rails. i have seen someone run a 4870 in his system with the same psu and a intel dual or quad not sure (rican). youll have no problems running a 4850 hopefully.
Well, if it's true that my PSU can handle a 4850 (hopefully, lol) which one would you suggest?

I don't really know the differences between brands and which are good or not.

Well, if it's true that my PSU can handle a 4850 (hopefully, lol) which one would you suggest?

I don't really know the differences between brands and which are good or not.

There isnt much difference between them. Some companies like EVGA have good warranties or step up programs. But i would just go with the cheapest one, or the HIS one i posted on the first page with the better cooler. And yeah, 30A should be enough for a 4850.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom