Hard Drive Problems..

Status
Not open for further replies.

daythecountrydied21

Beta member
So last night I managed to bump my laptop hard enough that I'm assuming it shook the plates up and killed the hard drive because everything just shut down and the computer wouldn't turn back on.
So I go onto HP's website and type in the replacement number that is on the HDD. They want $600 for a 250GB 5400RPM laptop HDD!!!!!
There's no way that I'm going to pay much more than $100 for one and I've never had to buy a new HDD before so I'm looking for some guidance on what would fit my laptop.
The HDD that was in it originally was a WesternDigitalScorpio, 250GB 5400RPM, number WD2500B EVS, and HP part number 453775-001.
I was looking on NewEgg and they have what seems to me to be the same one but like I said I've never had to replace a HDD before and don't wanna have to go through the hassle of returning.
Thanks for any help in advance!

If your computer won't turn on at all, I don't think it would be the hard drive. Even if you didn't have any hard drive installed on the laptop, the computer would still turn on and maybe get into bios.

I think something else might be wrong... i.e. motherboard

If your computer won't turn on at all, I don't think it would be the hard drive. Even if you didn't have any hard drive installed on the laptop, the computer would still turn on and maybe get into bios.

I think something else might be wrong... i.e. motherboard

jeeze i didn't even think about that. you know how i could check the mobo to see? or am i severley screwed? :(

Im not overly knowledgeable with laptops, so someone else might be able to help you with that. Or you could take it into a computer shop to get it looked at.

But if it is a dead motherboard, then it is going to cost... big time.

Check the battery. Is it seated right? Does it do anything when connected to the power outlet?

IF it doesnt even get you a BIOS screen with the power cord attached then it is something more severe.

wow i am an epic fail.
1st for not realizing that even if it was a HDD issue it still would've POSTed.
and 2ndly because teh problem was that the batter was a bit out of sync.
god im an idiot lol.
thanks for your input tom!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom