Ram?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blackmoore

Daemon Poster
Right now I have a Samsung 512 Stick of PC3200 DDR and a 512 Stick of Kingston Value Ram. As I have been reading over the topics about Ram I keep hearing everyone say not to buy value ram, or cheap ram, especially for gaming. First of all I would like to know why? Because the Ram I have been using, the Ram I have always been using in my other machines as well, has been running flawlessly from what I can tell; and I play all the latest and greatest games. From lower end games like Diablo 2 to more system intensive games like Battlefield Vietnam and Final Fantasy 11 ect... (haven't played Doom3 yet). All of the more expensive ram moduals are all equiped with heatspreaders. But other than disapating heat does it show any more preformance than Ram without a heatspreader like mine? I mean how can you tell if your Ram is running hot or loosing preformance from heat? Or do people just buy it because they like to tell people that have Kingstons HyperX Ram? You would think that PC3200 is PC3200 is PC3200 especially when its made by same company and its all rated for the same speeds. I am sure there are differances just like in any other peice of hardware. If the Ram shows more preformance, then I am all for buying it. But if its like the difference between a Sony 16X DVD Drive, and a Lite-On DVD Drive, whats the point? Can someone help me get this staight?

There is nothing wrong with ValueRAM. However, if you are into intense gaming, performance RAM is recommended due to the fact the access times (latencies) are much lower than the standard ValueRAM.

High performance RAM is built to withstand heat, therefore is meant for overclocking. That is why they say that 400 Mhz (PC3200) is the fastest official RAM (in DDR1 series). Because anything over 400 Mhz has been overclocked. With a regular ValueRAM module, you are going to have problems as they are not equiped with sufficient cooling.

Different manufacturers build there modules based on there own architecture, and just use the common interface (DDR1/2). That is why some modules perform better than others...

P.S.: I'd have to recommend using MemTest86+ on any new modules to ensure stability.

Then my next question is it worth it to replace my current 3200 ram with a more expensive set with heatspreaders? Also, I keep hearing that AMD 64 CPU's do not support Dual Channel DDR unless they are socket 939 is that true with every AMD Chip out, including XP Chips? If so is it worth it to upgrade to 64 Bit chip Socket 754, if you are going to loose the ability to use Dual Channel DRR? I am moving from a XP 2600+ 166 Mhz FSB.

You are correct. 754s do not support dual channel. There are motherboards built for 754 which do support dual channel - However, considering the CPU's architecture cannot support it, it is a HUGE scam.

It is definatly worth upgrading to 754. I am running a 754 with 1 Gb (2x512) of Corsair XMS PRO EXTREME SERIES (500 Mhz+) running in single channel - And it couldn't possibly get any smoother. Not to mention that the 64s have a 1600 MHZ front side bus, which technicaly can reach 2000 Mhz.

You will shit your pants from the performance increase going from an XP to 64.

ya, i cant wait to get my 64, which one u got axex? and what happened to ur avatar...?!?! hehe

I was going to go for a 64, but its way too expensive for a 14year old who is at school all day every day... so i compromised, im going for a 2400Mobile and am going to overclock it to about 3Ghz. considering that the XP3200 has a stock speed of 2.2Ghz, i think this will be good enough for me for a while, with a nice graphics card of course...

Blackmoore said:
Right now I have a Samsung 512 Stick of PC3200 DDR and a 512 Stick of Kingston Value Ram. As I have been reading over the topics about Ram I keep hearing everyone say not to buy value ram, or cheap ram, especially for gaming. First of all I would like to know why? Because the Ram I have been using, the Ram I have always been using in my other machines as well, has been running flawlessly from what I can tell; and I play all the latest and greatest games. From lower end games like Diablo 2 to more system intensive games like Battlefield Vietnam and Final Fantasy 11 ect... (haven't played Doom3 yet). All of the more expensive ram moduals are all equiped with heatspreaders. But other than disapating heat does it show any more preformance than Ram without a heatspreader like mine? I mean how can you tell if your Ram is running hot or loosing preformance from heat? Or do people just buy it because they like to tell people that have Kingstons HyperX Ram? You would think that PC3200 is PC3200 is PC3200 especially when its made by same company and its all rated for the same speeds. I am sure there are differances just like in any other peice of hardware. If the Ram shows more preformance, then I am all for buying it. But if its like the difference between a Sony 16X DVD Drive, and a Lite-On DVD Drive, whats the point? Can someone help me get this staight?

The difference between a LiteOn and a sony DVD drive is that sony would probably last longer, because its a better quality build than the LiteOn - even though the LiteOn burners use sony lasers :)

I dont recommend liteon to anyone. I had a dvd drive for about 2 months and it crapped out on me. Go sony....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom