P4 Power Connector

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nikkon

In Runtime
My power supply died so i pulled out a PSU from one of my older system. Its an ATX PSU but has not P4 connector. I know what a P4 connector is, I know what its for. When I go to boot up my system my video card acts as if its dead (the fan on the heat sink which is connected though the board on the card works though). I was wondering if not having a P4 connector would cause this or is my video card dead?

Probably, the P4 needs that extra 12v to power up. It should be the cause of your problem. Check out a ebay, they usually have good deals on psu's.

Like bobojuice said, the P4 need those extra 12 volts to work. If you look on eBay make sure you get a P/S from a trusted company, not some $10 piece of crap, you'll regret it later. Also check Pricewatch if you don't find anything at eBay.

Yeah, he's got a point. But that should be common sense. When purchasing on ebay it's always good to do a little research before you start buying shit. You can also check newegg, they usually have great deals and their shipping is phenomenal.

I found a PSU with a P4 connector and video card works. However, now I have interfearence on the screen (multi-colored lines, and dots, all over the screen). I can boot up windows in safe mode with the interfearence (and make out enough to get around), but if I try to boot in regular mode it looks like it hangs after the welcome screen. (I cant tell cause all that shows are the lines, abstract numbers from previous screens etc). Now, my question is, did my PSU take out my video card in the process of dying or is it still not getting enough power. The PSU I found was only a 200 Watt where my PSU was a 500W.

That would be your power supply. 200w in nowhere near what you need to power a system like that. You need at least a 400w power supply.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom