Trying to find a CPU Upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kutulu

Baseband Member
I am looking to upgrade my CPU, I had found one on newegg but it seems it has already been deactivated, and now they don't have any products that match my socket.

Right now I have a AMD 64 3000+(Venice, maybe?) 1.8 Ghz 939 socket. I am looking for a reasonable jump in improvement, I know there are some Dual cores(opteron) on other sites but I am not sure if I would need any additional requirements to install one. And I have only purchased from Newegg so I am not sure who to trust on quality and price.

Also, most of what I had found on newegg months prior was OEM, so can someone suggest some good Heatsinks to go with it?

according to your specs your upgrade capabilities are the 64 or 64 FX processors. You could take a decent upgrade to a 2.8ghz in the 4000+ or get one of the FX processors some of which I've seen out perform or as well as dual cores.

Thing about the FX series, is based on what you're using it for. In my personal experience, my single core AMD 4000+ @ 2.5ghz(i think) was good for what I needed it for and certainly a jump in performance. I use to run a P4 and 512MB of ram also.

In regards to heatsinks, it's based on your current heat on the processor or the one your going to upgrade too. Stock fans do a pretty good job of keeping your processor cool, but I think thermaltake would be a pretty good choice.

I am primarily using it for gaming. What retailer would you suggest buying it through since newegg isn't stocking any 939 socket CPUs anymore?

i'd recommend a Noctua NH-U12P cooler... they're almost silent and will get your temps real low

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom