What do you think of the Alien m9750 gaming laptop?

Status
Not open for further replies.

LightingBird

In Runtime
Its the Alien Area-51 m9750.

I'm considering buying this one for myself this time. Its going to be right at 1802 with the Dual 512MB NVIDIA® GeForce® 8700M GT - SLI Enabled that can use the direct x 10. This also includes shipping. So I'm looking for a gaming laptop. After all the research I've found this one seems really good. Currently, I use a acer aspire 7520-5311 for portable gaming. I bought a couple of them last year for christmas. Don't get me wrong its a great laptop but not the best. Just some games now are really running slow to play. Games like Warhammer and some others. Here are the specs for this laptop:

Processors, Chipset & Memory Intel® Core™2 Duo Processors (4MB Cache, 667MHz FSB)
Intel 945PM + ICH7M-DH Chipset
Up to 4GB Dual Channel DDR2 at 667MHz
2 dedicated SO-DIMM slots for Dual Channel DDR2 Memory

Audio 7.1 Digital High-Definition Audio
Two Speakers with SubWoofer
Connectivity
1 headphone jack
1 microphone jack
1 Front Speakers jack
1 Surround Speakers jack
1 Center Speaker jack
1 TOSlink Optical Audio

Graphics & Video NVIDIA GeForce Series
Dual Graphics Cards
Dual 512MB NVIDIA GeForce 8700M GT GDDR3 - DirectX 10 enabled with NVIDIA® SLI™ technology

Peripheral Connections 4 Hi-speed USB 2.0 ports
Express Card Slot /54mm
IEEE 1394a (4-pin) port
4-in-1 Memory Card Reader
(SD / MS / MSPRO / MMC)

LCD Panel 17” Wide Screen WUXGA 1920 x 1200 with Clearview

160gb Harddrive

Case & Chassis Height: 1.5”
Width: 15.65”
Depth: 11.75”
Weight: 8.5 lbs
1 Kensington Lock slot

Area-51 m9750 17-inch Ultimate Gaming Notebook Computer – Alienware

Just looking for some solid opinons. Please looking for people that actually might have some technical knowledge. Last time I posted something like this, I got so many replies and private posts that said laptops can't run any games that just blew me away. Ha my laptop before my acer could run most games at max resolution. My acer even better. I'm just having problems with the newer games and looking for top notch this time. Not looking for a desktop, so please no replies like that. I'm ususally up and about in my home or out. This works best for me.

So is this a ok, good, great or bad choice for a gaming laptop? Any other suggestions?

You can get the same laptop for a LOT cheaper from other manufacturers. I would say shop around a bit, try lenovo or ibuypower. Alienware is very overpriced.

But, for gaming, I must say a desktop would suit you much, much better because of upgrade-ability.

Lenvo or Ibuypower? Ok I'll look into those companies. I'm all about saving a buck but not considering a desktop.

EDIT

I just checked ibuypower and the top gaming laptop they offer is only 15 inches and they only have class 2 and 3 video cards for them.

I'm not entirely sure what you mean by "class 2 and 3" video cards, but they may not have the exact option for SLI 8700M's. If thats the case then consider Dell (since Dell and alienware are the same company), because they often have the same options for much cheaper.

You might also look into HP laptops, as they get a good rep.

I just checked iBuyPower's site and they don't have 8700m's, but they have newer counterparts. They also do have 17" monitors, you have to check all of their laptop models (they have a ton of them).

I'm going to check out those two websites for computers shortly. I have some friends that are senior techs for some companies but they are kinda biased on name brands so I can't really ask them questions expecting fair answers. They recommended this website to review video cards.

Notebookcheck: NVIDIA GeForce 8700M GT SLI

If you look on that website they review, rate, and keep track of external reviews on cards. They have the video cards on a class system. Thats where I get the class 2 and 3 thing. The dual video card thats in that alien laptop is a class one. I find similar deals but its usually smaller screen at 15 or so and a class 2 or 3 video card. The crazy part the alien is usually only about $50-$200 more than these lesser machines. Thats not counting the shipping for the other laptops. So I'm just trying to get the most bang for my buck. Perferablly something with the 17 inch screen or more and also a class 1 video card.

Just looked up on those websites you have me. The RK one has this listed OCZ OCZNBIM17A. This thing is really nice. Not only is the video card a class 1 its listed 2nd from the top! Ha wow. I did some research on it and its a really really nice and powerful video card. Sadly, the laptop with it listed is only barebones. Once I add all the things to it would come to the same price and a bit more. Ugh I got excited. Good information either way.

Newegg.com - HP Pavilion dv7-1170us NoteBook Intel Core 2 Duo T5800(2.00GHz) 17.0" Wide XGA+ 4GB Memory 320GB HDD 5400rpm Blu-ray Disc / Super Multi NVIDIA GeForce 9600M GT - Laptops / Notebooks

Newegg.com - HP Pavilion dv7-1020us NoteBook Intel Core 2 Duo P7350(2.00GHz) 17.0" Wide XGA+ 4GB Memory 320GB HDD 5400rpm Blu-ray Disc / Super Multi NVIDIA GeForce 9600M GT - Laptops / Notebooks

Newegg.com - Gateway P-7801u NoteBook Intel Core 2 Duo P8400(2.26GHz) 17.0" Wide UXGA 4GB Memory DDR3 1066 320GB HDD 7200rpm DVD Super Multi NVIDIA GeForce 9800M GTS - Laptops / Notebooks

Maybe these also for branded options. Gateway is good imo, tend to concentrate on very little flash and deliver a solid core product instead. More for your money, often times.

I would still recommend configuring an Asus/MSI notebook, they're very high quality, easy to configure/service, and generally come with a 2-3 year warranty rather than just the standard one year. That extra warranty can really count for a lot, too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom