Looking for a thumbs up on this component list

Status
Not open for further replies.

hello_tully

Solid State Member
I'll be using this computer for audio and video encoding, as a music server, for Word/Excel, internet surfing, and some gaming. I figure this parts list gives me ample strength for all these tasks, and enough room to grow if I want to go for more gaming power in the future. Mainly, I'm hoping I can get some people here who know what they're doing to give me the A-OK on these parts before I order them!

Case: Antec P182

CPU: Q6600 retail

MOBO: Asus P5Q Pro

Memory: CORSAIR 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800

Video: MSI R4870 T2D1G OC Radeon HD 4870 1GB

PSU: CORSAIR CMPSU-750TX 750W

HD: WD Caviar SE WD5000AAJS 500GB

DVD Drive: LiteOn SATA DVD Burner

I'm 99% sure at the very least these parts are compatible, but am looking for feedback on whether this stuff is a good fit. Do these parts complement each other well enough? Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance!

Thanks! I'm pretty excited about it.

I chose the RAM I did because it's got a $25 rebate and a $10 combo discount when purchased with the Q6600. So I guess my question is whether the RAM you suggest is $35 better in the context of my system?

You're overkill on the PSU, and its not modular. Quads are hot, so airflows key. A modular PSU means only minimal cables...
Newegg.com - CORSAIR CMPSU-520HX 520W ATX12V v2.2 and EPS12V 2.91 SLI Certified CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply - Power Supplies
Is a better psu, 520w and modular.

The q6600 is good, but 2.4Ghz. Overclockings easy, and will boost it to 3.0Ghz for better, snappier performance. Toss in an aftermarket cooler
Newegg.com - CPU Cooler, Ball CPU Cooler, Sleeve CPU Cooler, CPU Cooling Fans, Quiet CPU Cooler, AMD CPU Cooler, Intel CPU Cooler
And you should be rock'n.

I went heavy on the PSU and got an especially nice case with an eye towards the future. I figure the non-modular PS with the extra cables wouldn't be a big deal - the case comes with 3 120mm fans standard and is known for good cooling, no? In any event, probably won't be doing too much overclocking right away.

But I am tempted to go for a nicer CPU to start with! Would a nicer chip still be a good fit for all my other components?

q6600 is a pretty good processor, and since you are not overclocking, its ok since it overclocks like crap now because of bad batches lately...

If you want a Q9550 its a pretty good processor, or if you plan on gaming a good bit check out a e8500/e8400 as those go to 4.0ghz

Probably won't do too much gaming. Mostly I'm just excited to reopen my 2-3 year old copies of Half Life 2 and GRAW and play them at close to max settings! I also hope and expect to be able to play Crysis at halfway decent settings on 1680x1050 resolution.

Being candid the computer will mostly be used as a word processor :( But also as a music server for my squeezebox and for internet surfing and some online work applications. Right now my only computer is a thinkpad with a 2Ghz C2D and 2GB - there are plenty of times when I have ten tabs open, MS Word, and slimserver (music server software) running, and I wish it were faster. Maybe I should spend the extra $125 and get the Q9550?

Okay.... No heavy use, then yha you're golden.

It's amazing how small amounts of airflow help.
I ave the Antec 900, and its good airflow... cleaned up my wireing and my video temp droped almost 10C and the cpu lossed 5C.

But, no OC and mild gpu you'll be fine.

if ur not overclockin ram is ram so stick with the cheaper corsair xms2. pi's (black) are great but not wat u need

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom