overclocking and pci express frequencies

Status
Not open for further replies.
i doubt it will make more than a few points different NosBoost... if you've got 100 set now you'll be running the slot at its maximum speed, this on top of the fact that not even a GTX280 or 4870X2 can fully saturate an x16 slot, let alone an x16 2.0 slot, but you can always try... you might just be able to get those few more bits to the SB that you need to break a record

of course there's always the fact that changing the PCIe frequency more than 10-15 MHz can effect the stability of an OC, so don't go too wild

couldnt tell ya that. i know it added a small increase in my 3dmark score at my highest card OC. i never tried going higher than that. so, try it and see lol.

once i get my waterblock for the gtx 260 i'll get back into oc'ing... cuz right now i just feel like gaming now that i got vista installed with all its fancy updates

as far as i'm aware it can increase the stability of a GPU OC (even if only a little), but to get any real increase in stability you'll have to go to a point at which you'll have to start clocking back your CPU, for some its a price they're willing to pay to get the absolute best GFX benchmark scores out...

btw, what waterblock are you gettin NosBoost?

oh thats a freakin sweet block... from what i've heard you can get the card down to the low 30s to high 20s... one guy was even claiming to have it down to an idle temp of 23C... anyway you look at it, thats pretty sick cooling

does running the frequency up allow for higher overclocks of the gpu?

Why would it? The pciexpress bus only controls the data flowing in and out of the card. Overclocking deals with the card itself. upping the pcie frequency will give you more bandwidth but whats the point? No single card can saturate a 16x slot so its like driving a car that tops out at 50mph on a highway with a 60mph speed limit. Raising the speed limit to 75mph isn't going to make your car drive any faster.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom