New computer.. Again

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kingfrail

Baseband Member
Well I got my *** kicked trying to build my own computer :p It just wouldn't work right, so I ended up having to return it, two pieces were past the return date, and the shipping price was pretty high, so I ended up losing about 200 or 250, and no computer.

Now I still want to get a new comp, but I'd prefer not to put one together. I have a decent Video card leftover, a Geforce 8800 GS, so I was looking for a tower with decent specs in everything EXCEPT a video card, and I found the Compaq Presario SR5510F Desktop PC w/ AMD Athlon X2 5000 Dual-Core Processor.

Specifications
Processor Type: Athlon 64 X2
Hard Drive Size: 500 GB
System RAM: 2048 MB
Operating System: Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium Edition
Processor Type: AMD Athlon 64 X2 5000+ / 2.6 GHz
Multi-Core Technology: Dual-Core
Cache Memory Type: L2 cache
RAM Installed Size: 2 GB / 4 GB (max)
Technology: DDR2 SDRAM
Storage Hard Drive: 1 x 500 GB - standard - Serial ATA-150 - 7200 rpm
Operating System / Software OS Provided: Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium
Graphics Controller Type: Integrated
Graphics Processor / Vendor: NVIDIA GeForce 6150 SE
Optical Storage Type: DVD±RW (±R DL) / DVD-RAM - Serial ATA
Read Speed: 40x (CD) / 16x (DVD)
Write Speed: 40x (CD) / 16x (DVD±R) / 4x (DVD-R DL) / 8x (DVD+R DL)
Expansion / Connectivity
Expansion Bays Total (Free): 2 ( 1 ) x 5.25" x 1/2H ¦ 3 ( 2 ) x 3.5" x 1/3H
Expansion Slots Total (Free): 4 memory - DIMM 240-pin ¦ 1 ( 0 ) x processor - Socket AM2 ¦ 2 ( 1 ) x PCI ¦ 1 ( 1 ) x PCI Express x16 ¦ 1 ( 1 ) x PCI Express x1

Networking: Network adapter - integrated

I'm looking to use the computer for light gaming; Cod4 on crappy specs maybe, I'm hoping it can handle WoW at top quality.

Now is there anything that really sticks out to you guys (Besides the video card) that I should know? I'll probably end up upgrading the RAM as well, but for the moment I thought that this computer looked perfect for me.

What problems did you come across when building your computer that made you return everything and 86 the whole thing??

The system wouldnt start up, but I could hear the fans whir for a second, then shut down. I checked all of my connections a million times, I checked all over the web, with friends etc. and got no answers. I was getting really really close to the 30 day return date, so I decided not to risk it and just scrap the project.

you probably had a bad component and with some troubleshooting you would have been fine and not out 200-250. As far as the computer goes, yeah it will play cod4 on crappy settings, but it isn't anything marvelous and you can get much better deals than that.. Look for a computer running an intel 2xxx cpu and they will be extremely cheap and good. Also look to Acer as they have cheap desktops where if you replace the PSU (as you will have to on most pre-built systems) and pop in the 8800gs you'll have a nice little system. Granted you'll have over paid for it, but it will do what you want.

Ah aright, do you have any specific suggestions? Something around 450-500ish would be nice, I never was that good at working with computers, so I can't really tell how well different processors are going to handle programs, or how strong of a PSU I'm going to need to support an x16 video card

HP Pavilion M8357C 2.2GHz AMD X4 Phenom Quad-Core Desktop PC w/ TV Tuner ( KE568AAR#ABA ) (Hewlett-Packard) Price: $482.99+ shipping
+
Antec earthwatts EA380 380W ATX12V v2.0 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Power Supply $29.99+shipping
+
that 8800GS of yours.

or if you are feeling lucky
HP Pavilion M9350F 2.5GHz AMD Phenom X4 Quad-Core Desktop PC ( KQ498AA#ABA ) (Hewlett-Packard) Price: $669.99
+
sell off that 8800GS
granted pre-builts can't overclock... but its got a quad, 6GBs of RAM, 750GBs of storage, and a 9800GT
6GBs.......... most of us on this forum don't even have 6GBs lol

or you can just stick to that Compaq Presario SR5510F
but you will need a new PSU with most pre-builts if you want to stick that 8800GS anywhere. for example, the presario only comes with 250W PSU
while 8800GS requires:
taken from Evga website
Code:
 	 Minimum of a 400 Watt power supply.
(Minimum recommended power supply with +12 Volt current rating of 22 Amp Amps.)

* don't be fooled by watts rating, Amps on the +12V is more important

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom