PC doesn't recognize USB devices

Status
Not open for further replies.
It is an OS. A very powerful one at that. With certain distributions of Linux such as Knoppix you can create what's called a LiveCD which boots the Linux OS from the CD instead of a hard drive. You can still do almost everything with the OS other than writing directly to the OS drive of course.

Can just use good 'ol Ubuntu as well ;).

I need help with one more thing. I got the software, but my brother's CD is Windows XP 05 Media Center SP3 I have SP2, so I don't see a recovery. I don't even see a upgrade I only see new install should I do that? Could I recover my files with a new install or should I keep looking for my cd?

You will need YOUR CD. His CD is a different version and will not allow for you to repair.

^ How do I do a repair install without a cd? It only explains how to install a fresh win xp on there, erasing everything.

^ This is all I get from the site.

XP Repair install

Please read carefully and make sure you followed the warning links before initiating the Repair Install. You can print a text version for reference. repair.txt

1. Boot the computer using the XP CD. You may need to change the boot order in the system BIOS so the CD boots before the hard drive. Check your system documentation for steps to access the BIOS and change the boot order.
2. When you see the "Welcome To Setup" screen, you will see the options below

This portion of the Setup program prepares Microsoft
Windows XP to run on your computer:

To setup Windows XP now, press ENTER.

To repair a Windows XP installation using Recovery Console, press R.

To quit Setup without installing Windows XP, press F3.

And I thought this was it, but it says I need a Windows CD also.

Paul Thurrott's SuperSite for Windows: Slipstreaming Windows XP with Service Pack 2 (SP2)

Yes. You NEED the XP CD to do a repair install. There is no way around it. That is how a XP Repair install is done. The first link i gave was how to create a XP CD if you do not have one. The 2nd link is how to go thru the process of doing the repair.

This is what i have said from the start of my posting in here. The XP CD is needed. If you want to fix your current install you will need to either make a CD, get a CD that matches your version of XP that is installed or use a Linux LiveCD to get the data off your machine so that you can format and reinstall.

There is no other options for doing a repair install.

The only other option you have is to go to the Gateway site and get the drivers for your motherboard and install them.

Gateway Support Drivers & Downloads

See if that works to solve your problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom