General lag/slowdown in nonstressing games

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mikhaile

Solid State Member
I recently posted a thread asking some advice about video card upgrades, due to the answers Ive got Im wondering if its my video card thats the problem. It seems that alot of games I experience low fps in are games I more than meet the requirements for. Ill give you an example of a demo I played recently:

Games recommended requirements:
# WinXP SP2 / Vista
# Intel Core 2 Duo 2.13 GHz or AMD X2 5600+
# 2 GB RAM
# NVIDIA GeForce 7900 GTX

This is what I currently have:
#WinXP SP3
#2.60 GHz AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core
#3 GB RAM
#NVIDIA GeForce 7950 GT

In this particular game I got extremely low fps, even with everything at the lowest setting it was still sluggish anytime alot happened on screen.

Im at a loss honestly. Any advice?

Thanks

You are just barely above the recommended specs. Are these the low end or high end of the recommendations? If they are at the high end then you should be alright and it could be something like spyware or something else. IF they are low end try running it in lower settings.

Those stats are the recommended as stated, not the minimum. Keep in mind also its not just this game.
I havent had any problems with spyware or viruses on this computer. The only performance issues I have are certain times in games.

I was just hoping other nvidia card owners may have experienced this problem and possibly have some insight into this. I keep thinking maybe its a driver issue but Ive installed/uninstalled the newest one repeatedly to no avail.

Have you tried Googling the problem? They say dogs are mans best friend, but I think it's Google :)

Otherwise, it could be any number of things. Maybe your PC is getting too hot. Often times PC's will automatically throttle the power of the system when it gets too hot in order to compensate; this is especially painful on notebooks! Make sure you have plenty of air flow to your PC.

Also, maybe its not a video driver issue. Try setting your Windows quality to "best performance" and also try increasing the size of your page file.

Right click on My Computer -> Properties -> Advanced - Performance
Or something like that, I've been using Vista far too long :( Anywho, find your way to the "Visual Effects" tab under your performance options. Set it to "Adjust for Best Performance". This will make Windows look like 98, essentially, but it will run better.

Next go to the "Advanced" tab in the same window. In the "Virtual Memory" area click the "Change" button. The "Virtual Memory" box will pop up and you can change the size of the paging file here. Make sure "Automatically manage page file" is unchecked. Now set the maximum and minimum size to the same thing, I have mine at 4096. Click "OK" and you're done. You'll have to restart.

Only other thing I can think of is go into the task manager and make sure you don't have to many services and processes running. I hope this helps. Beyond these suggestions I wouldn't know what else to tell yah.

- FlapJack

I have had 2 nVidia cards in this PC of mine. A 6800 and now a 8600GT. I dont experience any lags like you talk about in game. In XP or Vista. So try this:

If you are having problem why not go thru our spyware guide:

http://www.techist.com/forums/f51/spyware-removal-guide-osiris-updated-8-18-2008-a-165828/

Post your HiJack Log here:

HijackThis Logs (analyze) - Computer Forums

If that comes out clean and you still experience some serious lag try this:

http://www.techist.com/forums/f9/how-keep-winxp-really-fast-stable-156582/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom