Laptop wont turn on at all

Status
Not open for further replies.

sick_unit

Baseband Member
The laptop was working fine last night. Today I turn it on but nothing happens. Ive tried turning it on with the AC and no battery and also with the battery by itself but no lights turn on - not even the charging battery light. The adapter is correctly plugged in. The battery was full last night, so you'd think that it would turn on when running the battery by itself.

Its an Acer laptop which is about 1.5 years old so its out of warranty.

Ive tried holding the power button for 30 seconds and then waiting ~5 mintues and plugged the battery back in and nothing. I also did it again but tried with the adapter and still no luck.

What can I do to revive it?
Thanks

If it was plugged in without any decent surge protection, it could have have taken a hit. Those cheap ac adapters don't protect laptops against anything.

Sounds like you need a new power supply

Where exactly is the power supply? How do I test to see if its working? (Sorry I dont know much about laptops)

I used a multimeter and tested the voltage of the power adapter and its fine. How do I test the actually power jack on the laptop to see if there is any voltage?

I opened up the laptop and got to the mobo and found that a capacitor has blown. Since that the mobo doesnt work I have nothing to lose, therefore I want to try and change the capacitor. How do I find out what value the capacitor is? It doesnt have any numbers on it. The one which has blown looks like this ImageShack - Hosting :: 96895846ye3.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom