Gaming on a budget

Status
Not open for further replies.

joowan

In Runtime
Hihi, my friend is looking for a build that can play somewhat up to date games.

his budget is around 400 dollars, im horrible at knowing whats good and cheap at the same time, so far i have the following picked out

Intel C2D E7200
Newegg.com - Intel Core 2 Duo E7200 Wolfdale 2.53GHz 3MB L2 Cache LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor - Processors - Desktops

GIGABYTE GA-EP35-DS3L
Newegg.com - GIGABYTE GA-EP35-DS3L LGA 775 Intel P35 ATX Intel Motherboard - Intel Motherboards

evga 9800 GSO 768mb
Newegg.com - EVGA 768-P3-N968-TR GeForce 9600 GSO 768MB 192-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards

Thermaltake Purepower W0100RU 500W ATX
Newegg.com - Thermaltake Purepower W0100RU 500W ATX 12V 2.0 Power Supply - Power Supplies

Western Digital 160GB 7200 RPM 8MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive
Newegg.com - Western Digital Caviar SE WD1600AAJS 160GB 7200 RPM 8MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - Internal Hard Drives

I have plenty of ddr2-6400 ram that i can source to him and im pretty sure we can source some things like dvd-roms and a case for almost free.

i agree with sanremo... Tt makes terrible PSUs in my experience... and Antec, although cheap, is a quality name in PSU... a P45 based board will OC better, but you can get some decent performance out of that P35 board (assuming you want to OC)...

i'd also suggest this HDD (Newegg.com - Western Digital Caviar SE16 WD3200AAKS 320GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - Internal Hard Drives)... it should perform better and will offer you twice the storage space for less than $20

other than that, everything's looking sweet... that GPU will perform quite well for $120... you can get cheaper GSOs, but the extra framebuffer will help out in newer games, you might want to clock it up to standard GSO levels tho... thats 50 on the core and 100 on the memory, but you should go great if you get everything setup right

i agree with sanremo... Tt makes terrible PSUs in my experience... and Antec, although cheap, is a quality name in PSU... a P45 based board will OC better, but you can get some decent performance out of that P35 board (assuming you want to OC)...

i'd also suggest this HDD (Newegg.com - Western Digital Caviar SE16 WD3200AAKS 320GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - Internal Hard Drives)... it should perform better and will offer you twice the storage space for less than $20

other than that, everything's looking sweet... that GPU will perform quite well for $120... you can get cheaper GSOs, but the extra framebuffer will help out in newer games, you might want to clock it up to standard GSO levels tho... thats 50 on the core and 100 on the memory, but you should go great if you get everything setup right

that card actually have a 50 dollar rebate on it, so i picked that out. good looks on the power supply, i might actually just let him have my old enermax 500w,

I use a Thermaltake Psu and its great. My friend was telling me that they actually are a decent quality psu (430W stock case).

My friend runs a 4850+q6600 and the usual on his, in fact 3 or 4 of my friends have the same power supply (including me).

I use a Thermaltake Psu and its great. My friend was telling me that they actually are a decent quality psu (430W stock case).

My friend runs a 4850+q6600 and the usual on his, in fact 3 or 4 of my friends have the same power supply (including me).

Thank you!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom