Win XP Hangs During Boot After SP1a Install

Status
Not open for further replies.

gsperkins

Beta member
After intalling the Windows XP SP1a Service Pack, My windows hangs during initial reboot, and actually keeps rebooting. It won't let me enter 'Safe Mode'. When I initiate Safe Mode, I notice that the system hangs when it tries to load agp440.sys, then automatically reboots. When I disable agp440.sys, it does the same on mup.sys, then ndis.sys, etc... I have heard SP1 can cause conflicts with AGP drivers or USB 2.0. Does anyone have any suggestions? I first suspected my GeForce4 video card. My system is as follows:

Pentium 4 1.8Ghz
1GB RAM
IWill PE4 Motherboard
GeForce4 Ti4200 128MB
Soundblaster Audigy

Thanks!

Product Key Code

Now I am not saying you have a pirated version of XP, but I do know when you upgrade using SP1 and your product key code is on Microsoft's hit list of stolen keycodes it causes your computer to crash. Again I am not saying you have the pirated version, but if you do then most likely that is why this is happening to your computer. If not then maybe you should check with Microsoft and make sure your product key code is not on their list. I am only suggesting this because I have from other people this is what happening to their computer before they knew about the XP upgrade security feature.

Boot your computer from the XP install cd, and then repair the installation.
Dont use SP1, its another attempt to take over the world :)

I agree with person's repair idea, however, dont believe all that crap about sp1. It works great as long as you have a good cd-key.

A little joke never hurt anyone did it? :)
notice that I put a smily face after it ;)

yea, but its a joke that doesnt make sense. and unfortunatly, lots of people arent updating their computers because of that.

same problem

any recommendations - i have the same problem despite tryin repair...plz help !!!

MB is on the track!

The service pack information is correct,, one thing that I might add is that the Hardware drivers have become corrupt.

Have you added any new hardware as of late? On the MUP i would say either the USB 2.0 or the Network card, On the NDIS I would say NIC,, on the AGPxxx,, I would say video,,

Overall,, I would do a couple of things,,

You could try SYSTEM RESTORE to a date prior to the install of the update, (as repair failed)

or......

First reinstall video drivers to the Card, if no go, then remove PCI cards from device manager,, do one at a time and reboot until the machine reboots normally or you run outta cards,,,

If this fails, check for BIOS updates, or reset to default your present BIOS,,

this is definitely a Hardware based issue...

If all fails,,, *sniff sniff* a clean install (after backup) , and not recreating the issue would probably be your best bet..

good luck ,,

cheers,

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom