No Power after shutoff...

Status
Not open for further replies.

TenNoKishi

Beta member
Hello everyone,

I have an issue when I turn off my computer and try and turn it on several moments later the light and fans start but then it all dies. I wait a few moments and try and turn the computer on, then nothing, no lights, no fans, no sound.

The only way I have gotten around this is by turning the power off on my power supply and waiting a few minutes. I turn it back on and wait another few moments then my computer will start and run fine for however long I leave it on for.

I just did a major upgrade of my motherboard, processor, HDD, and memory. I am not very computer literate but I have read all over the internet that it could be anything from a bad motherboard, to BIOS setup (CPU frequency), bad HDD...but the common response is a bad power supply.

I have a :

AMD Phenom 9950 Quad Core 2.6Ghz Processor
Gigabyte GA-MA770-DS3 Motherboard v1.0
Gigabyte GeForce 8600GTS (GV-NX86S256H) Video Card.
+HDD and DvD Burner.
and a 350W power supply (dont laugh if this is the issue...haha)

Thank you for your comments/advice!

Sounds like a bad power supply. Only way to test this for sure is to try using another one for some time.

Ya, i'd be more than willing to bet its that tiny 350w psu. When you first boot up that is when you get the largest draw from the psu, and my guess is that you are pulling more than it can handle thus it shuts itself down for safety and has to be reset.

Thanks guys, I am getting a 520W PSU today to replace my 350W one. I will let you know if that was the issue.

I appreciate your comments.

No idea, I am getting it from a guy that built my original computer, hes been doing this for years and I trust him. Should I watch out for the Corsair?

Nah, the 520hx is one of the better psus you can get. Mine has been running 24/7 in my media pc for going on a year.

Well it was in fact the power supply that was causing this issue. I have replaced it with an AcePower 520W (I read that its not a good brand but it will do for now).

Thanks to those who offered their thoughts, it helped make a decision to replace the power supply before taking out everything else :)

No problem glad to help.

You might want to think about changing computer guys though. I see a few bad choices on his part in this thread. If he indeed built the computer for you that is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom