"Upgrading" In need of suggestion

Status
Not open for further replies.

AzN

Baseband Member
I'm looking for one of the best AM2 socket CPU out right now because that's the only thing I really want to upgrade and ram as well since my 2gig burnt out on me. I'm Looking for the best bang for my bucks. My budget is around $300-400. I recently ordered a "GT260 Core 216" and forgot about the size of my case and was wondering if my case will be big enough for it? and is my PSU strong enough. I also have heating issue with this case as well so if you can recommend a better case with lots of fan and better airflow please do unless my original case is fine. "This PC is for gaming purpose only."

The case I'm using right now is a Thermaltake Swing VB6000BWS Black 0.8 mm SECC Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case.

Newegg.com - Thermaltake Swing VB6000BWS Black 0.8 mm SECC Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Computer Cases

i'd recommend the Phenom X4 9950 BE (Newegg.com - AMD Phenom 9950 2.6GHz 4 x 512KB L2 Cache 2MB L3 Cache Socket AM2+ 140W Quad-Core Black Edition Processor - Processors - Desktops)... you shouldn't lose much (if any) performance usin the backward compatibility of the AM2/+ socket... as for memory, i'd recommend either Kingston HyperX PC2-8500 (Newegg.com - Kingston HyperX 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Desktop Memory) or Cosair Dominator PC2-8500 (Newegg.com - CORSAIR DOMINATOR 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Desktop Memory)... although the Kingston is slightly cheaper, it'll OC great... i'm getting great performance out of mine

oh how could i forget G.Skill??? although that model is PC2-6400, these G.Skills are PC2-8500 (Newegg.com - G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Desktop Memory), still really cheap and high quality... Also, Mushkin PC2-8500 will be a great OCer and is just top quality... Mushkin have been in the business since the start... or you could go for the Geil Black Dragons (Newegg.com - GeIL Black Dragon 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Desktop Memory)... they're all great RAM, and all no more than $125

I would get the G.SKILL PI Black's. The only reason to get the 1066 is if you need the extra heardromm for overcloking which you won't since the Phenom has an unlocked multiplier.

The Phenom you listed is an AM2+ socket and my Mobo only supports AM2 will it even work? I've been reading around some said it will work and some said it might not. I think I'll be going for 8gig just to fill up the other 2 slots as well. Also looking for a case with lots of fan and a decent airflow, I got this bad feeling when my card gets here it'll probably not fit in my current case that I listed.

Your motherboard wouldn't support that Phenom. You would need a AM2+/AM2 board. Some AM2 motherboards can support Phenom with a bios update, but yours can only support up to X2 6400 since BIOS version 1202.

Don't bother with 8 gigs. Unless you are doing some really heavy 3D work or HD video editing, it will be absolutely useless to you. 4GB is plenty for any game now and in the future. 4GB is just now becoming the standard amount for enthusiasts. Save your money and maybe get a new mobo to support that phenom, or go intel. Either way that would be money much better spent.

What do you guys think about this CPU?
Newegg.com - AMD Athlon 64 X2 6400+ Windsor 3.2GHz 2 x 1MB L2 Cache Socket AM2 125W Dual-Core Processor - Processors - Desktops

and is the combo deal worth it ? it comes with an ok CPU cooler.
Newegg.com - Rosewill RCX-Z3 92mm Ball CPU Cooler - CPU Fans & Heatsinks

Or should I just not bother upgrading at all and just wait it out? since this PC is mainly for gaming purpose and I'm going to be running 4gigs and a GTX 260 Core 216.
Btw can anyone confirm if the GTX260 will fit in my case that I've listed? Would be really great to know if I should order a bigger case or what not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom