Need suggestions

Status
Not open for further replies.

krazyq

krazy Techie
Alright im tryin to get back into pc building so this is for a pilot im helping.
he's not sure if he should upgrade or start fresh.
This is what he's got so far
a pentium 4 cpu 3.00 GHZ 2.99GHZ 512MB
40 gb hard drive that only has 5 gb of free space left. The computer itself is a dell dimension 9100.

My suggestion would be a brand new pc...since its low ram and hdd sspace is low...although im willing to listen to your guy's opinions.

what does he use it for??

If all it does is internet and office work, no need to upgrade anything.

A great way to bring life into those old machines is just to do a reinstall...xp gets slow with use over time.

what does he use it for??

If all it does is internet and office work, no need to upgrade anything.

A great way to bring life into those old machines is just to do a reinstall...xp gets slow with use over time.

i t hink it may just be office work.

I was thinkin atleast get 2gigs of ram or 1 atleast and a new hdd and yes...a fresh install.

I've emailed him to find out wat apps he uses. Once he gets back i'll post again.

Thanks for the quick reply Rican!

Only need 1gb if its office stuff so an extra 512mb and the hdd needs an update that should be a cheap upgrade. Do a clean install and set a defrag to run every couple of weeks and he will be good for another 5 years :)

Just do that, and reinstall XP. You can make your life easier by adding an external hdd rather than internal. Dell cases can be annoying to add to.

well its a business work place so i dont think he'd want an external.
i was just going to replace his current hdd since its only 32gb atm.

suggestions for hdds or ram would be appreciated since i've really been out of it and don't relaly know whats good out there atm!
thanks

Ram would be any brand in that pc even if you have been out of the game as I take it you won't be seriously overclocking if at all so any OCZ, Corsair, Kingston, G-skill you know the usual big brands.

I generally go for Samsung (quieter generally) or seagate drives (reliable), WD are fastest atm in benches I believe so again any big brand except hitachi and maxtor

wat ram stick would he need?ddr/ddr2? wat speed....
not sure which one is compatible with his pc.
i dont care much about timings cos he's never going to game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom