working on a friends computer

Status
Not open for further replies.

nastsystems

In Runtime
i was looking at my girlfriends computer because she said it was running really slow and when i went to disk clean up it would run but after scanning all the files and when it went to clear the unused files it seems like it freezing up. i let it sit there for almost four hours and it wasn't even one percent done. anyone know what could be causing this?

what kinda specs are we looking at here... it could be that the hard drive is really slow (IDE interface), slow CPU, fragged up files, bad file system or even just a lot of junk on there... need a bit more info to figure this out

Run a defrag a couple of times and possibly install a stick of your ram temporarily in her machine then try again.

There are 101 reasons why a computer would run slow I would do things in this order:
Save all needed data
Turn the computer off then on again
Put a windows disk in the drive
Run it and reinstall windows reformatting the hdd
Install the programs you want

slow (IDE interface),

The IDE interface does not effect performance! Spindle speed/ platters/ memory cache and coding

IDE would make the rig run noticably slower than a SATA drive due to the increased Random Seek Time... but yeah i agree with you on the sure fire fix... a simple reformat will save you so much trouble, but if you want the data on it, i'd definitely follow those steps

Run a defrag a couple of times and possibly install a stick of your ram temporarily in her machine then try again.

There are 101 reasons why a computer would run slow I would do things in this order:
Save all needed data
Turn the computer off then on again
Put a windows disk in the drive
Run it and reinstall windows reformatting the hdd
Install the programs you want

The IDE interface does not effect performance! Spindle speed/ platters/ memory cache and coding

i did run the defrager but that didnt do anything. but there is bearly any space left on the HDD. could that be what is causing it not to run all the way? there is plenty of RAM on the computer.

i was hopin not to have to reformat it. i wanted to do it with out that process. so i am going to go to her house and get the specs and repost so we can all try to figure out what is going on.

Files could be corrupt that allow disk cleanup to run. I've had that happen on computers before. Either reinstall the files necessary for disk cleanup or just download a 3rd party disk cleanup utility.

i did run the defrager but that didnt do anything. but there is bearly any space left on the HDD. could that be what is causing it not to run all the way? there is plenty of RAM on the computer.

i was hopin not to have to reformat it. i wanted to do it with out that process. so i am going to go to her house and get the specs and repost so we can all try to figure out what is going on.

how much is barely? perhaps your pagefile doesnt have enough space? try getting rid of files to have 15% freespace, and try defragging a few times. no harddrive space will really slow down a comp...

If i recall correctly you need something like 8% or better to even run the defrag. First thing i would do is run the disk cleanup that is in windows, it will compress and delete a lot of the trash files. Also, do a search for *.tmp and delete anything that shows up. You'd be amazed how much space that alone will free up. Once you free up a reasonable amount of disk space, it should allow you to run a defrag.

PS, stop storing your pr0n on your gf's machine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom