overclocking and pci express frequencies

Status
Not open for further replies.

advancedgeek

Daemon Poster
hey guys is there good explanation why you have to set your pci express frequency higher than 100MHz if you overclock. It seems like if you don't change the pci express frequency the pci express 16x bus will run at 1x which slows down games to a third or quarter of its stock performance.

you can run it a little higher (like 10-15mhz), but i wouldnt suggest it except for benchmarking. cpu overclocking itself has no effect on your pcie bus.

how can i overclock my cpu while having 16x pci-e speed? it always drops to 1x when i overclock and the only way to fix this problem is to set the pci-e frequency to something like 105MHz so that it will run at 16x.

to Amd:
probably so.
to advancedgeek:
i have no idea why your mobo would change the pcie to 1x when you overclock. unless it is some sort of safety feature, but i dont know. i am unfamiliar with gb boards, sorry.
how are you checking the bus speed?
if nothing else, it is OK to set at 102 or 105 or whatever, but it is weird that it does that.

well i did a research a couple of months ago when i realized that my pci-e bus width was 1x when it should be 16x but i haven't found any other fix other than setting the pci-e frequency a bit higher. i just want to make sure i won't fry my gpu nor the the board because i am low on cash atm.

if you run your PCIe at 100 or 101MHz your system will not only have more stability, but it will also keep your PCIe slots running at their maximum potential

would a 10mhz on my pci-e bus give me the 18 points to break 16k?

possibly, but if its set at 100+ now, it probably won't make a difference, because it is already running at full speed and your graphics card can likely not saturate the port... increasing your CPU frequency by a couple MHz (ie 1 or 2MHz on the FSB) you should be able to surpass 16K

hrmm... i've always wondered if changing the frequency of the pci-e bus made a difference or not... i'll have to test that out tonite along with a 4.5ghz 3dmark run!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom