XP Pro install on Vaio laptop, Sata drivers?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shafra

In Runtime
Hi All, hopefully I can get some help.

Was given a Sony Vaio PCG-NVR2 laptop. It has tons of software on it, and also TONS of viruses. (One of which makes the PC shut down after about 5 mins)

Anyway, I want to wipe the PC and reinstall windows and then just update all drivers fresh from inside windows. However, there is no hard disk detected. I assume XP needs the sata drivers and this model must have a newer sata drive but I can't find the driver anywhere.

Any ideas??? And if anyone knows where I can get the driver please post a link. Can I pop it on a CD and read it after the F6 during install or will I need to have a floppy? I don't have a floppy, so only other option is to slip it onto an XP disk first.

I do not have the recovery CD that came with the laptop.

Thank you, I already found that list of drivers, but I don't see a SATA driver in there...

Am I missing it???

I couldn't get floppy to load the SATA drivers for my HP dv9700t when I installed XP. I had to use nLite to add the drivers to my XP CD and burn a new CD to use. It worked perfectly with the modded CD so I recommend you use that. My floppy drive is a Dell laptop internal one but it has a USB port to use it with other PC's, but Windows didn't like it.

No, I wasn't sure it was a Sata drive. It probably is an IDE.

So why wouldn't XP detect the hard drive? Any options are appreciated :)

Are you using the disk that came with the system? Or a disk that came with another system? Or a disk that you bought at a store? Is the disk scratch free? Has it worked on other PC's before?

No, as I mentioned in my post I do not have the original recovery CD. I just have the laptop.

I was attempting to use an original XP disk, then I tried XP with SP1, XP with SP2, and XP with SP3. No luck on any of them.

From inside windows when I try to run the XP CD and do a new install it says that this version of windows cannot be upgraded, even though it says it is XP Pro and I am using an XP Pro CD . (I am using the serial number that is on the current XP Pro on the laptop, as I mentioned it boots into windows but is loaded with junk software and has a ton of viruses so I'm just trying to wipe it)

You have to boot from the CD to do anything. Trying to reinstall from within Windows will noly be able to be done with Vista.

The serial on the laptop is a OEM serial. So you will need a OEM disk to use it.

Thanks, Mak213.

I did try booting via my own XP CD's but that's when no Hard Disk is detected. That's what I don't understand. I verified this is an IDE hard drive, so why can't I see the drive to do a complete format and install?

The hard disk is occasionally making a very loud popping sound. I bet this drive is just dying...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom