Upgrading from an AMD X2 to an Intel Core

Status
Not open for further replies.

bzflag

In Runtime
My machine is in need of a reformat so I think I'm just gonna go all the way and upgrade it as well. I'm gonna keep my video cards for now although they will be upgraded to a single unit later so a SLI motherboard is not a must. I do enjoy a bit of OCing though. I've also got a 64bit version of xp as well.

So if I could stay under $400 for:
Processor
Motherboard
Memory

That would make my day.

Thanks man.

I multitask a good bit but my current AMD handles what I can throw at it just fine. Where it has been lacking lately is in games.

I just rechecked the speeds of the E8500 you might be better off with a E8200 or E8400 and overclocking them to the E8600 speeds. The cash you save through doing that will get you a nice heatsink like the Tuniq tower 120 or thermaltake inferno (huge check reviews for mobo compatibilty) or thermaltake ultra 120. Sorry for that slip up wasn't concentrating :).

Is it just me or are the 8200 and 8400 the same price on the egg :s I do hate you yanks for your amazingly cheap hardware. I have spent the equivalent of $4000 on mine and its no record breaker

I just rechecked the speeds of the E8500 you might be better off with a E8200 or E8400 and overclocking them to the E8600 speeds. The cash you save through doing that will get you a nice heatsink like the Tuniq tower 120 or thermaltake inferno (huge check reviews for mobo compatibilty) or thermaltake ultra 120. Sorry for that slip up wasn't concentrating :).

Is it just me or are the 8200 and 8400 the same price on the egg :s I do hate you yanks for your amazingly cheap hardware. I have spent the equivalent of $4000 on mine and its no record breaker

Thanks again.

I'll probably stay with the stock heat sink and speeds for the moment. I've got a nice Zalman on my AMD currently, so I have a grasp of the importance of quality heat sinks when OCing.

The 8200 and the 8400 are showing up as the same price for me as well.

The thing making you lag in games is that 7600gt

I'd say get a good Biostar I45/ e8400 / G-Skill Black 4gb DDR2 Kit...

use your 7600gt until you can save for a better GPU

The thing making you lag in games is that 7600gt

I'd say get a good Biostar I45/ e8400 / G-Skill Black 4gb DDR2 Kit...

use your 7600gt until you can save for a better GPU

I agree. I do have 2 of them running in SLI and OCed so they were hanging tough until recently. GPU is definitely next on the list.

Seems to be a pretty unanimous verdict.

Do you guys think it's worth saving up a bit more and going for some higher quality/faster parts? Or is this a good price point to stay at?

That's a good price point. I say go for Vern's build, that would be a good gaming system and would last for a while. Then eventually save up and get a better vid card.

You claimed that your 7600 GT's in SLI were doing fine in gaming until recently.

It would be wiser to go with a more powerful graphics card first. That is if gaming is a major concern for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom