A multitude of random questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Risensun

Baseband Member
I've compiled a list of questions that iv been unable to find a straight answer to via google, so I hope you might be able to clear some of them up for me, here goes...

1. My HDTV has an HDMI “in” port.

Question - If I have a both a graphics card and a HDTV with HDMI ports, can I get sound from my pc to my TV with just the HDMI cable?

2. I have a few copies of Windows xp lying around, been using them to install on different computers but I guess I hit a limit with one of the serials I have, when I went to activate it I got a message that said I hit my license limit.

Question - How many times can I use an activation key before they cut me off/Can I get my number of licenses extended without buying a new copy?

3. I have an Asus 4850 graphics card and the thing gets really hot!

Question - Should I replace the thermal compound that came with it with tx-2, or is that a bad idea?

4. I have a port on my Motherboard for what I think is supplemental power for the Graphics card,

Question - Should I hook up power to it/Does my card need it to perform at its full potential?

Motherboard – Biostar Tpower I45
Graphics Card – Asus 4850

5. I have a copy of Windows Vista Business edition, I don't really know what the differences are between the different versions, but I got this version for free so I though id use it if it would not make a difference.

Question - Is there any reason why I should not use this for my gaming rig/would I have to worry about not being able to find drivers (well more than other versions of vista, anyway)?

1. No. Since the sound on a PC is controlled by the sound card which is a different device it wont transfer sound as well. From what i know.

2. No. To all. Technically you can only install it once and activate it. After that you can not install it again until the first machine is formatted. After that a OEM copy will activate 3 times as will a retial copy. What you have done violates EULA and TOS fo Windows. No you cant extended the serial without buying a new copy. You would need a VLK or MAK copy to do that.

3. Use google to get the Fan hack to get the fan working at full speed.

4. Have no idea.

5. Windows Vista: Compare editions

No. Business edition is jsut like every other version. It just has different components installed with it to make it the Business version and be better for Businesses. It can do everything else jsut like Vista.

HDMI connections provide both audio and video signals.

Vista Business leaves out a lot of the multimedia functionality that comes with the Home editions. Gaming could be impacted.

HDMI dos audio and video yes. But as i stated on a PC they are controlled by different items. The Video card itself doesnt do anything with Audio. So you would either have to run a cord from teh Sound card to the Video card to get sound or it does whta What you hear type deal.

As for Vista Business. Yes it takes out from Media stuff. Like Media Center. But WMP and the rest of the stuff is left in there. I used it personally and played every game on there as i have on Home Premium and Ultimate. Gaming is not effected only missing Media Center is the main thing.

with regards to the windows serial issue
it depends on what sort of windows it is (oem, retail etc)

OEM will only let you have it on the pc it came with,
when you upgrade you pc windows thinks you have a new pc and therefore
throws a wobbly and wont install, all you gotta do is ring microsoft and explain that all you done is upgraded your pc.

Im not sure about the details of the other versions but i had that exact problem as above and microsoft sorted it. See pigs do fly.

I gave the exact info according to the EULA of Windows. I know it almost by heart. OEM can only be used on the PC it came with unless you format that PC.

Installation and use. You may install, use, access, display and run one copy of the Product on a single computer,
such as a workstation, terminal or other device (“Workstation Computer”). The Product may not be used by
more than two (2) processors at any one time on any single Workstation Computer. You may permit a maximum
of ten (10) computers or other electronic devices (each a “Device”) to connect to the Workstation Computer to
utilize the services of the Product solely for File and Print services, Internet Information Services, and remote
access (including connection sharing and telephony services). The ten connection maximum includes any indirect
connections made through “multiplexing” or other software or hardware which pools or aggregates connections.
Except as otherwise permitted by the NetMeeting, Remote Assistance, and Remote Desktop features described
below, you may not use the Product to permit any Device to use, access, display or run other executable software
residing on the Workstation Computer, nor may you permit any Device to use, access, display, or run the Product
or Product's user interface, unless the Device has a separate license for the Product.

That is the very first part of the EULA agreement of Windows for OEM and Retail. By those words if you remove the copy from any PC you have the right to put it on another. But there is a activation limit. As i already said. It is 3 times.

if its OEM you cant take it off one computer and put it on a different one
it must stay on the oringal computer

Went thro a rather lengthy debate with a microsoft idiot operator to convince
them i only upgraded the computer and it wasnt a new one.

Sorry to say but that operator is wrong. I have had lenghty discussions among many people at Microsoft. The EULA only stipulates that it can be on 1 machine at a time. Which i pointed out. It can be transfered. As this part of the EULA says:

4. TRANSFER—Internal. You may move the Product to a different Workstation Computer. After the transfer, you
must completely remove the Product from the former Workstation Computer.
Transfer to Third Party. The initial
user of the Product may make a one-time transfer of the Product to another end user. The transfer has to include
all component parts, media, printed materials, this EULA, and if applicable, the Certificate of Authenticity. The
transfer may not be an indirect transfer, such as a consignment. Prior to the transfer, the end user receiving the
transferred Product must agree to all the EULA terms. No Rental. You may not rent, lease, lend or provide
commercial hosting services to third parties with the Product.

No where in there does it say that you can not transfer a OEM license. I know what you are saying. But i have had talks with many people from Microsoft myself. The license activation people are not the brighest people of the bunch and dont know the ins and outs of the EULA.

Thanks to everyone for clearing up some of those question, nice to hear that the business edition will work fine, saves me a lot of money.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom