Building a new PC!

Status
Not open for further replies.

lyecdevf

In Runtime
I am thinking of building my self a new PC. I was thinking of buying my self 1,5TB of memory but as you guys helped me realize that would be such a good idea. So instead I am going to build a computer with these system specs:

Corsair TX-650W (UPS)
Intel DG33FB, 775 (motherboard)
Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 2.4GHz, 775
Asus Triton 77 (heatsink)
DDR2 2GB 667MHz
Gigabyte Geforce GTX 260, 896MB, PCI-E (GV-N26-896H-B)

I plan to run windows XP on it. So what do you guys think?

You mean 1TB of hard drive space? Good god, what are you downloading to really satisfy that kind of space?

Well, I'm not to canny on Intel products, the quad cores have come down in price a great deal, so your garunteed extreme performance PC.

What kind of hard drives are you going to use? and with that kind of space what are you going to do for back up?

I need the space. I can fill up a 250GB drive in a couple of months!

Yeah, you are right I need to get some hardrives. I am going to use a 500GB SATA drive.

For back up I am going to use my server on the LAN which runs Suse 11.0! I am going to set it up with RAID 1 some time in the near future. :D

Q6600 is old tech even the G0 version is 1 1/2 years old go with a Q9450 or 550. Get 800mhz ram the 667 is a downgrade that isn't justified unless your really out of money.

A 4850/ 4870 si much better price/performance then a 260 ATI is currently king of the roost for single graphics card solutions. Heatsink is ok but a thermaltake ultra 120 (high overclockability) Arctic cooling 7 pro (moderate overclocking or stock clock).

Are you a major multi-tasker as a E8500 might be more suited and would run faster then a quad core as it runs cooler so can get better overclocks. Raid 5 config might be best for you if you want a dynamic disk array for torrents.

I would get Seagate 7200.11 drives for there 5 year warranty to build the raid array and a pci raid solution may come in handy so that you can change motherboards without the risk of data loss. If you set up the raid through windows disk manager then it will automagically work whatever pc you put it in.

Thanks for that feedback. Now I did some changes:

Gainward Bliss 9600 GT, 512MB, PCI-e
DDR2 LONG DIMM 1GB 800 MHz
Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 1TB, 7200rpm, 32MB, NCQ, SATAII (ST31000340AS)
Corsair TX-650W (UPS)
Intel DG33FB, 775 (motherboard)
Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 2.4GHz, 775
Asus Triton 77 (heatsink)

I am not really a gamer so I think Bliss 9600 is going to do. I also like the look of it, which I find very important! :D

I would double up that RAM its cheap atm and get a named brand so you can overclock to 3ghz its not a risky thing to do if you do it properly

I would get a slightly smaller drive for your OS like a 320gb 7200.11 as putting all your eggs in one basket is risky. Especially if your torrenting as its constant activity and 1tb is alot to lose in one go. The Q6600 is old get a newer quad if you want 4 cores. I think you would be better with a C2D it will be faster for cheaper. As above that heatsink is ok but I have linked to better ones.

I took your advice and I am getting this one:

Intel Core2 Duo E8500 3,16GHz, 775

For the HD I think I am just going to use one that I already have to keep the price down. The heatsink is just going to have to do because I can not get a better one. It is the best our online store can offer. I could look around for some thing better but that would take some more time and if I am going to buy this computer some time soon...:)

I had an off day got my cpu model numbers mixed up you can save $20 by getting the E8400 then overclocking to the speeds of the E8600 a decent air heatsink will cost about $40 instead of the $100 it would be to buy stock. If you don't want to overclock then the E8500 is still a good deal. I have assumed your a yank and buying from newegg like the majority on here..... If not then please link to the computer store your using and I will help you with the heatsink. It is much better in general to have an aftermarket heatsink as it keeps the cpu cooler and heat cause a cpu to degrade and the C2D overcloc so well it would be a shame not to

The computer store is not in english language so you would not understand. Any ways I looked at other offers and found this one:

Asus Silent Square Pro

I think it is by far the best they offer as it has 49,4 CFM. One review of the product particularly mentioned the E8400 processor and how it keeps it cool even after overclocking. I have not overclocked much but I think I am going to have a go at it! :)

I recommend changing the motherboard to a Asus or Biostar that has the p43 or p45 chipset.

For the cpu cooler look for a Sunbeam Core Contact, Xigmatek s1283, Tuniq Tower, OCZ Vendetta 2, Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro, or Cooler Master Hyper TX-2 which are in order from best to worst. (they are all good though)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom