My next build

Status
Not open for further replies.

FlyByDanny

Beta member
Hello, Im new here and i've been looking around and you have pretty cool Forums. Just wanted your opinion on my new build.

NZXT tempest OR Coolermaster HAF932
EVGA 780i FTW
Intel core 2 quad Q6700 (will overclock to 3ghz)
4gb corsair (1066)
Hp 1070i (Lightscribe, ect...)
Corsair 1000W OR Coolermaster 1000W PSU
Zalman 9700NT
WD 640GB

GPU's
This is the problem i can't choose which Graphic's card to go with:

HD 4870 X2
GTX 280
2X GTX 260
3x 9800 GTX KO

i will be playing Flight simualtor X 24/7 (well maybe not 24/7) and a BIT of crysis. lol
If i go with the 4870X2 i will go with the P5Q Deluxe MOBO and maybe a E8600
My budget is £1250($2500)... Yes Im from the Uk

Note: i will be getting a LG 22" monitor

Heya,

A fellow UK chap :). What Resolution will the monitor be playing at?

Do you multi-task a lot as a quad core isn't really utilised in many games and runs hotter then its Core2Duo brethren due to the extra cores, this makes it less overclockable. Unless your intent on multiple application usage I would go with a E8500 then overclock and save the pennies it won't be slower then an E8600. Also if your intent on quad the Q6700 is old tech the Q9550 is newer and better.

Your only overclocking by a little so fast RAM won't be needed you can save some pennies by buying some standard 6400 (800mhz) ram that the majority of people use. Will you use lightscribe? Any big name branded optical drive will do there all fairly similar.

Insane Psu you will be using nowhere near that much power a 750-800W will be plenty even with tri sli'd graphics you will be actively using 600-650W. I would reccomend
KustomPCs.co.uk - Antec TruePower Quattro 850W <--- Racing stripes :p very stable and a gooden
KustomPCs.co.uk - Zalman ZM750-HP Dual Heatpipe Cooled 750W Modular PSU <---Quiet
KustomPCs.co.uk - PC Power 750W Red Silencer PSU SLI Quad Crossfire <--- the best option IMO

That heatsink is old and wasn't extremely good when it came out either an;
KustomPCs.co.uk - Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro <---- best price performance
KustomPCs.co.uk - Thermalright IFX-14 Inferno Heatsink with HR-10 Backplate Cooler <---- best performance but very large
KustomPCs.co.uk - Thermalright Ultra-120 Extreme Heatsink <---- Many peoples favourite its a bit smaller then the above so fits almost all motherboards

Western digital is a great company and thats a good fast drive if your quoting the latest model however I believe it has a 3 year warrant. The seagate 7200.11 series however comes with a 5 year warranty and is equally fast. For a bit quieter then Samsung spinpoint F1's but thats unlikely to be needed given the sound the graphics cards will make lol.

Graphics card choice depends on your Resolution. The 4870's have be known to be a tad hot so an aftermarket cooler would be advised if you plan to crank up the speed. If playingat the standard resolution for most 22" monitors(1600x****) then crossfired 4850s would be best. With crossfire and sli or multigpu core you will only get a 60-70% performance increase for double the price.....

Some good UK stores:
My sig and links is the best IMO I am not affiliated with them btw. They are a small store so they have truly excellent customer support and will answer your emails within 30 mins and are able to source any part so its worth sending an email if something is listed out of stock as they may have not updated. I have ordered lots of times and have had no problems except that they're Scottish lol :(
Scan Computers UK: Computer Hardware - All <--- free shipping if you join the HEXUS forums I have had a couple of bad experiences but overall they're ok.
dabs.com - Laptops, Components, MP3 players, Software, Digital Cameras <--- never ordered from but they have some great deals everyonce in a while
Overclockers UK <--- I have had one bad experience (my shipping was meant to be next day before noon and came 3 days late they gave me a refund of the extra postage cost but not all postage) but they do have deals which are irresistible sometimes.
www.Ebuyer.co.uk<--- Good with good prices

Edit: don't forget a 64bit operating system I would recommend Vista home premium

yeah i dont multi-mask Alot just have a Game running.
I am going with 2 Gpu's, 2 Drive's, 2 hard drives and a Sound card is it ok to go with the Corsair 750w (i won on in a competition, time to put it to its use) or buy a new Coolermaster 850w
Intel core 2 duo E8500
ARE YOU MAD lol if i get a Q9550 I'LL BLOW MY BUDGET!!!!....LOL
FSB on a E8*** is 1333 so if i get 800mhz ram it will be slower if the speed's are similar then they run faster together, well thats was i got told...
Yes i will be using lightscribe.
Im just going to go with:
Same as above just:
2X EVGA 9800 GTX KO 512mb
And a CM 850w PSU
E8500 (NOT OVERCLOCKED<<<<<----- Yeah right :) )
ACf 7 pro

SOUND GOOD?
might be doing a live stream when im buliding it!

Thanks for you advice

Well If your not multi-tasking then it Q9550 won't matter and the C2D will be better. Your right about the ram and core speeds but they don't have to be set to 1:1 ratio and as your not overclocking to the nth degree it won't matter. Real world performance won't be affected and you will just be burning money for the sake of it. I bet the majority of people on here have 6400 ram its faster then the generic dell puts in but cheaper then the extreme end of DDr2 or DDr3.

If you have a psu lying around then use it the Corsair 750HX is great and will power everything easily that pc is about 550W at peak. What hdds are you getting? Have you considered a raid config there's a link below in my sig most people use Raid0, raid1, raid0+1 or raid 5.

What soundcard are you going to be using?

Well If your not multi-tasking then it Q9550 won't matter and the C2D will be better. Your right about the ram and core speeds but they don't have to be set to 1:1 ratio and as your not overclocking to the nth degree it won't matter. Real world performance won't be affected and you will just be burning money for the sake of it. I bet the majority of people on here have 6400 ram its faster then the generic dell puts in but cheaper then the extreme end of DDr2 or DDr3.

If you have a psu lying around then use it the Corsair 750HX is great and will power everything easily that pc is about 550W at peak. What hdds are you getting? Have you considered a raid config there's a link below in my sig most people use Raid0, raid1, raid0+1 or raid 5.

What soundcard are you going to be using?

Ok cool so 800mhz RAM it is then And a Corsair 750w
Two 320GB Samsung F1'S or one 640GB... What is the befit of using RAID?Faster?.

RAID depending on the version there are about 11+ that I know of, combines disks so that 2 or more physical hdds become 1 virtual drive.
Raid0 - Striping the data so half is on each disk. If one drive fails all the data on both drives is lost but speeds are increased as there is essential a 2 lane channel as opposed to a single lane. 2x100gb drives = 200gb of storage space
Raid1 - Mirroring the data so both drives are identical and if one drive fails the other can be used as an instant replacement. Writing speed is slower as your essentially writing it twice but reading performance is increased and reliability is increased as you have an instant back up 2x100gb drives = 100gb of storage space
Raid1+0 - a combination of the above 2
Raid5 - My favourite for a home server type application. Takes a minimum of 3 drives all the drives are striped together as in RAID0 however if one drive fails the other 2 drives can be used to rebuild the data that is lost. Reliability and speeds are increased. The con being that one of the drives physical data storage capacity is lost. 3x100gb drives = 200gb storage or 5x100gb = 400gb storage

All Motherboards now have this built in if you go through the bios and set it up. Windows needs the raid drivers before it is installed which are on the motherboard installation disk. If you want to know more there is a link in my sig......

Actually, if i recall correctly, FSX is one of the games out there that actually does use 4 cores. So might want to look into that before you pick a cpu.

RAID depending on the version there are about 11+ that I know of, combines disks so that 2 or more physical hdds become 1 virtual drive.
Raid0 - Striping the data so half is on each disk. If one drive fails all the data on both drives is lost but speeds are increased as there is essential a 2 lane channel as opposed to a single lane. 2x100gb drives = 200gb of storage space
Raid1 - Mirroring the data so both drives are identical and if one drive fails the other can be used as an instant replacement. Writing speed is slower as your essentially writing it twice but reading performance is increased and reliability is increased as you have an instant back up 2x100gb drives = 100gb of storage space
Raid1+0 - a combination of the above 2
Raid5 - My favourite for a home server type application. Takes a minimum of 3 drives all the drives are striped together as in RAID0 however if one drive fails the other 2 drives can be used to rebuild the data that is lost. Reliability and speeds are increased. The con being that one of the drives physical data storage capacity is lost. 3x100gb drives = 200gb storage or 5x100gb = 400gb storage

All Motherboards now have this built in if you go through the bios and set it up. Windows needs the raid drivers before it is installed which are on the motherboard installation disk. If you want to know more there is a link in my sig......
Hmm i dont know might just stay with one HD for now

But a stock Quad at 2.4ghz even with all cores being used isn't going to beat a C2D with both cores utilised at 3ghz unless were using the noob calculation "4x2.4ghz = 9.6ghz 2x3 = 6ghz the quad is obviously faster :)". The quad will kic out more heat though whatever the clock

GTX 260 (216 Core) FTW!!!

Also don't go with the Q6600 if you can stretch your budget. Would be MUCH wiser to get a Q9550 instead.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom