network backup difference

Status
Not open for further replies.

linux1880

In Runtime
I have never really understood the difference between incremental and differential backup,can anyone enlighten me pls?

However I try to understand confused at end,what really is the difference?

Incremental Backup=A backup that copies only the files that have changed since the last backup.

Differential Backup=A backup that copies all files that have changed since the last full backup. Each differential backup will include all files in previous differential backups since the full backup so to restore a version of a file, you only need to search the full backup and the relevant differential backup.

It's been a while, so sorry I couldn't be a bit clearer. I used to know an easy way to remeber the difference between them all.

Cajun's got it right but he'res some more.

An incremental backup stores all files that have changed since the last FULL, DIFFERENTIAL OR INCREMENTAL backup. The advantage of an incremental backup is that it takes the least time to complete. However, during a restore operation, each incremental backup is processed, which could result in a lengthy restore job.

A differential backup contains all files that have changed since the last FULL backup. The advantage of a differential backup is that it shortens restore time compared to a full backup or an incremental backup. However, if you perform the differential backup too many times, the size of the differential backup might grow to be larger than the baseline full backup.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom