Does running 32-bit Vista on a dual-core 64-bit processor bog performance?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Factotum

Beta member
I got to thinking- if dual core 64 bit processors are two 32 bit processors acting together, then doesnt that mean a 32 bit OS on this hardware would only use half of the processor? Or does it split 16 bits on each core?

Each core is 64bit. And each core on a typical modern processor is backwards compatible with 32bit software. Both cores will be used.

Each core is 64bit. And each core on a typical modern processor is backwards compatible with 32bit software. Both cores will be used.

The reason I was confused is because some joke no-it-all pc geek squad expert at Best Buy told me that in a dual core 64-bit processor, each core is 32 bit and combined they make a 64 bit processor...

**** who are geek squad hiring these days? It just means that the CPU can be used with 64-bit software, doesn't mean it has to.

Thats like people that claim they have 6ghz core 2 duo lol. Sure is useful when selling stuff on ebay though as the average person wants the fastest possible and a 3ghz dual core or a 6ghz dual core is an easy decision for them lol

The reason I was confused is because some joke no-it-all pc geek squad expert at Best Buy told me that in a dual core 64-bit processor, each core is 32 bit and combined they make a 64 bit processor...

This was your first mistake. At this point in time though, there is no reason to buy a 32bit OS, and i really wish microsoft would cut the crap and just move to 64 bit only already.

BTW, my quad core is capable of 16ghz :D gogo 4 cores at 4ghz each!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom