Bad Hard drive?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hi.Im.New

In Runtime
Hello,

So i installed a brand new 500gb Maxtor HD. As of the last 2 weeks I started getting a whining noise and found the HD to be doing it. When this occurs i have to reboot, because the computer is non-responsive. ALWAYS when i do, the HD wont be found upon boot up and still making the whining noise...ill have to turn off the power supply then cold boot the machine and that usually fixes the issue. Is this looking to be a HD failure altogether.. is there anyway i can fix this? If so can I back up the state of my OS to another hd and just boot of that? thnx guys.

thnx,
Jason

Does anything occure to prompt this? During a certain game? Long playing time?

Sounds to me like the hard drive MIGHT be overheating.

Lex,

The only thing i can say for certain is, the hard drive for sure is the issue. I've located the humming coming from it. When it does start to hum, the computer will completely freeze. It seems completely random, because when im gaming or even programming on my linux partition nothing will happen. It'll be fine then all of a sudden it'll start humming and im screwd for the next 15mins and lose my mind in the process. At this point i know i need to get a new hard-drive because i cant deal with this. I really want to know if i can back up each partition to the state its at now, because i dont wanna have to reinstall everything ect ect. Is this possible, im a total noob to backing up an OS and to what options i have.

thnx,
j

yea i agree tom...but i want to back up my operating systems, just not sure what utility and the exact way to go about it..any ideas?

Guys,

im using arconis...the files i absolutely need to back up are just windows... everything else is just up to me correct? Thanks again for the help im totally new to this. Also whats the difference between an image and backup, i thougt it was the samething.

Jay

Guys,

im using arconis...the files i absolutely need to back up are just windows... everything else is just up to me correct? Thanks again for the help im totally new to this. Also whats the difference between an image and backup, i thougt it was the samething.

Jay

When imaging is for backing up whole drive partitions. Backup is used to backup non system folders and files. When backing up Windows, image the whole drive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom