need your help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Armageddon81jb

Beta member
Hows it going guys, newb here. I need your help in buying a cpu. This is on a budget of about a thousand dollars. Should I go store bought or build my own? It will be mainly for engineering purposes, Pro/E, Inventor, Catia. Of course I would love to go dual xeon but I dont have that kind of cash. I think a gig of ram and pentium 4 should be anough with a good video card, maybe a radeon 9800? Would I want an AMD or Pentium processor, and how much speed? I would like to have dual monitor support if possible, outputting to my flat tv and my old cpu monitor. Should I try Dell?

thanks in advance.

Believe it or not dell actually has some good deals, but for 1000 bucks you're not gonna get much out of it. You'd probably get a better deal building your own. Depending on how much you actually want to spend with make the decision on the processor your purchasing. If youre gonna be doing alot of number crunching as it seems so, you might wanna go with some kind of p4. The speed and features depend on your pocketbook as well. I would suggest going to Pricewatch.com and checking out some prices, and putting some ideas of what you wanna get together. Thats the best way....

4 a thousand ur not gonna be looking to high in the results page lol. but wut i like to do is budget ur self on each secific part and if ur under u have extra to spend on other parts.
ie.
so much for the mobo
and cpu
hard drive
video card
ram
cd/dvd drives
case
ect.
basically dont go overboard on 1 particular thing else ur gonna run out of cash later on

That's good advice, you should also compare products and prices as well. Like, "build" yourself an AMD system with such and such features, and an Intel system with such and such, and compare and see which one would be a better value. You wanna squeeze the most out of your dollar. It'll take some time, but in the end it'll be worth it.

I appreciate the help. I just did some searching following your advie and here is what I came up with so far:

Pentium 4 w/ HT Technology 3.0 Ghz 190 $
Intel D875 PBZLK Motherboard 109.99 $
ATI Radeon 9800 Pro 220 $
Kingston 512MB PC 3200 DDR SDRAM-DIMM 169 $ or
Kingston 512MB PC 2100 DDR SDRAM-DIMM 88.92 $
( Whats the difference between 3200 and 2100? )
ThermalTake VA3000 Tower 112 $
NEC ND-2510A CD/DVD-RW 68$

Comes out to..... 957.53 $ or 877.45$ depending on ram

Is their anything else important I am missing? A friend of mine will help me build it once I have the parts. I have Windows XP at home already and Office. I take it all the drivers are in XP or do I need more initial startup software?

Sorry for the dumb questions.

Well, the p4 3.0 ht runs at a 800mhz bus, so getting some pc2100 will severely degrade your performance. Your pc might not even boot. You need to purchase some ram of at least PC3200. Drivers should come with the hardware. But you're also missing a hard drive. You might need to tone it down a bit to fit your budget.

Ah ha..! I knew I missed something. Thanks.

Seagate Barracuda ST3120026A 120 GB Hard Drive, 7200 rpm, 8 MB cache 95 $

So That puts me at 1052 $, more like 1100 $.

Anything else I missed or am messing up on?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom