New GPU is here, now I need a new Mobo...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mordred

In Runtime
Today I received my GeForce GTX 260 Core 216!!!, and when I went to install it in my main PCIE port, it would not fit. There is a metallic motherboard "thingy" in the way. I tried using one of my other two ports, but the Motherboard wouldn't allow a singe GPU in a multi GPU slot. So now I have to upgrade my motherboard in order to use my new GPU.

All four sticks of my Memory also died today. I don't know how, I don't know why.
When I started up my pc with my old GPU in there again, my motherboard gave me a C1 post code. The code is worded as follows:

"Detect Memory
-Disable shadow RAM
-Disable L2 cache (socket 7 or below)
-Program basic chipset registers"

I tried using only one stick, and I tried using only two sticks. None worked. I am currently using two of my brother's sticks of Memory to be on this computer.

I challenge you! I have exactly 700$ to spend. I need a new motherboard and 4gb of ram.

My current motherboard is an Abit IN9 32X-Max, and I was using 4 x 1gb sticks of Crucial Ballistix Tracer, like this but tracer instead of regular ----> Newegg.com - Crucial Ballistix 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Desktop Memory

I will be using the remaining supplies I have left which are:
Case: Thermaltake Armor
CPU: Q6600 (looking to overclock with the new mobo.)
PSU: Corsair HX 620W

I think those are the only relevant parts I need to list.
Thank you for taking the time to read this post, and I really appreciate your help!

Trust me when I say that it does not fit in the slot due to a piece of the mother board colliding with the bottom of the GPU. I tried for about 30 minutes to discover a way to get it to work, no dice, the GPU wouldn't seat correctly in the required slot.

Edit: I also don't have a digital camera. Sorry.

I only have one GPU I will be using, having the option to SLI in the future would be nice, but not entirely necessary, I was looking at some Asus motherboards, preferably with an Nvidia chipset. I also would like 4gb of RAM. I use my computer for high end gaming, so the parts would have to be higher performance.

I think the only NVIDIA motherboard that are good are the EVGA FTW (For The Win). Not sure if they fix the problems.

It doesn't necessarily have to be and Nvidia motherboard, I want something that will help me overclock my CPU well, and that won't give me any problems.

Is DDR3 still not worth buying? I remember a few months ago it wasn't worth the extra money.

That was few months ago. They are getting cheaper.

The problem is if I recommend you a high-end intel motherboard you wont be using CrossFireX. Not worth it if your just going to use 1 GPU on a $200 and above motherboard. The most Q6600 won't overclock over 4GHz with air.

That was few months ago. They are getting cheaper.

The problem is if I recommend you a high-end intel motherboard you wont be using CrossFireX. Not worth it if your just going to use 1 GPU on a $200 and above motherboard. The most Q6600 won't overclock over 4GHz with air.

Considering I'm running my Q6600 stock right now (2.4Ghz), I would settle for a solid 3.2Ghz overclock. Crossfire is only for ATI cards....I just bought a brand new Nvidia card, so I'm not worried about that.

If DDR3 is worth it, and will fit in with my 700$ price range, I would have no problem going with that.

Edit: I am looking at DDR3 RAM right now, and the latencies are ridiculous. 9-9-9-24? WTH!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom