Trouble reading certain discs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jekhyll

Beta member
Hello everyone!

First off i'd like to apologize if there is a thread just like this one or if this one is placed in the wrong section, I didn't take the time to check out anything since I'm pretty frustrated over my problem and nothing i've tried helps.

So to my problem.

Some certain discs don't get recognised by my disc reader. Some examples are, Battlefield 2, F.E.A.R and an ordinairy data burned dvd-r disc. I pop them into the disc player on the computer and wait a while, the player shows activity and i've confirmed that the disc is spinning (Duh, since I can run several other cds/dvds). And after that I might get an autorun pop-up and if I choose to run autorun, it will just stop right there. If I try to open the cd/dvd manually, I get to a blank "folder".

So there it is. I've checked if the drivers work, they do. I've reinstalled the disc reader 2 times, no change. I've run windows update, no change. I've tried updating my firmware but no luck there since the automatic updating program called "Liveupdate FW" doesnt work for my unit and I simply can't find anything on the net for my unit either. I've read something about clearing Lower entries and upper entries in regedit but there are none in my regedit to be found, and I looked at the right spot.

So...can anyone help me? I'm desperate, just bought a new computer and it really sucks that the first thing it does is **** on me -.-

Thanks in advance!

PS:
My disc readers product name is: TSSTcorp CDDVDW TS-H653Q SCSI Cdrom Device

And my OS is: Vista Home Premium 64 bit

How old is the drive?? What kind of usage has it seen?? It sounds to me as though it might be simply going bad.. :/

I've had it for maybe 2 weeks, brand new so to speak. It reads several other cd's and dvd's. Haven't used it much because of this problem.

If you bought it at a B&M (Brick and Mortar [Retail Store]), take it back.. It sounds to me that something isn't quite right with that drive, regardless of age.. A 2 week old drive shouldn't need a firmware update to load basic discs.. :/

Maybe spend the extra few dollars to get a more respected/well-known brand name drive..

I would say that a Lite-On drive would be more worth the money. But yoru probem might nto be the drive at all.

What are the condition of the discs being used? Perfect or all scratched? If they are less than perfect, the ones not being read that it, could be that the drive is a bit to sensative to read those discs which is why they dont work compared to the other ones.

Discs are good, the Battlefield 2 disc is like, newly bought so I doubt it's the discs... :/

It may be the fault of drive that originally burned the disc. I had a drive that could read it's own writing, but there was a 50-50 chance it would be
readable on other drives.

It may be the fault of drive that originally burned the disc. I had a drive that could read it's own writing, but there was a 50-50 chance it would be
readable on other drives.

That still wouldn't explain why the bought in stores dvd's dont work. I've been doing some testing and such and figured out that cd's work (sorry for the mistake in my first explanation) and earlier dvd's work. When I throw in some older games in my comp they run fine but when I try newer ones they wont get recognised and if they do, they wont run.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom