How to Restore Bios to Original Version?

Status
Not open for further replies.

grego

In Runtime
I'm trying to update my 733mhz PIII to a 1 ghz PIII, but I need to get the latest version of the bios to support it. First I dl'd the latest version that intel says was for my board, but it said "wrong version" or something along those lines when it ran. I think thats because the bios has to be at least version 9 before upgrading to version 11. I learned this too late. I found the version 11 somewhere else and sort of forced it to update. It said update succesful, but the bios version never actually changed. Now I'm trying to upgrade to version 9 first, but it won't. My problems are one of two. Either 1) I don't have a virgin IBM Formated 3.5" like neccesary (though my moms's friend says they are, which who knows?) or 2) Forcing that update before somehow corrupted certain files, so now version 9 will no longer update correctly.

As I cannot go to the store at this hour, I was wondering if there was a way to restore the BIOS to it's orginal version? (so I can start from scratch)

if it said update succesful, then it did just that, it wouldn't corrupt files, if there was something wrong in the bios, it wouldn't start up, you'd basically get a blank screen with no posting. You should look on your mobo and see if you can figure out the model that it is, etc.. or even look for your computer manual or ask the company you bought it from..

Well, it's an Intel D815EEA according to my OEM and a couple freeware programs. I guess what I said about upgrading to version 9 before 11 on some boards is irrelevant, my board (dependant upon production date) was not included in what I was reading.

I downloaded the express installer from intel for version 11 and it says "This program is unable to continue. The BIOS you are trying to update to is invalid for your system." This is quite frustrating as this file is a dl directly from intel directly for this board...

And as for the other method of install working if it says it did...The BIOS still identified itself as version 3 instead of 11 after that so called update.

I've experimented and removed a jumper near the CMOS battery ( i think thats what u call it) and the battery itself, but all it seemed to do is mess with the clock and some other stuff. Oddly enough my AOL Welcome screen is now configured differently.... It still has me at version 3 though, which is what has been on the comp for like 4-5 years.

Yeah all moving that jumper does or taking out the battery is clear your CMOS and put it to its default settings. Like resetting it basically. Thats why your clock changes too

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom