rebuilt socket 487 comp need help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blizz419

Solid State Member
hopefully someone here can help me out i had a crappy emachines pentium 4 2.53Ghz comp that died on me think mobo died i cant live without a comp so cheapest fix for me was to rebuild, this is my first time doing so but i am pretty good with computers.

so i picked up a MSI 945GCM478-L 478 Intel 945GC Micro ATX Intel Motherboard

and a APEVIA X-SNIPER G-Type mid size tower (yes i know too nice of a tower for a socket 478 comp but i plan on using this tower when i build a more upto date comp)

a chip of pqi 2GB 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 667 (PC2 5400)

a FSP Group FSP400-60THN-R 400W ATX 2.0 Power Supply

now i have 4 IDE drives 2 optical and 2 HDD

so i grabbed 2 SATA/IDE converters made by SYBA those are attatched to my HDD's and IDE cable to my optical drives

now my problem is i cant get the BIOS to recognize both HDD's or Both optical drives, and with the optical it only recognizes the slave when both are connected even when set properly to master and slave only thing i havent tried is setting every drive to cable select

You can only have ONE drive on a SATA to IDE convertor.. If you are using both the MASTER and SLAVE connections of the IDE cable, that won't work.. :/

so your saying that if i'm trying to use both my HDD's through the SATA/IDE converter, both my master and slave Optical drives which are using IDE cable wont work? and i've also tried removing one hard drive all together so only one converter is in use and i still couldnt get both optical drives to be recognized which are actually on IDE with no converter only the HDD's were using the converter since the mobo only has 1 IDE controller, though i have 4 SATA i just currently do not have any SATA drives hence why i tried using 2 converters for my HDD's

Well, the two devices on the actual IDE channel shouldn't have an issue.. Check the back of the drives and make sure they are either properly set to MASTER and SLAVE, or set them for CABLE-SELECT.. You may also want to try each drive by itself to make sure there is no problem with the drives..

i have put them on master and slave, tried master and cable select which i doubted would work, when i get home i plan on trying both on cable select, and i have tried them both by themselves and they both work fine

Have you tried swapping out the cable itself?? Is the system only reading the master drive or slave drive??

it's a brand new IDE cable and both master and slave plugs on it work, like i sad when both are plugged in it recognizes the slave drive only when i unplug the slave and leave the the master plugged in it recognizes it no problem.

Have you tried resetting the CMOS on the motherboard to reset the factory default settings?? If you've tried that, you may want to check the BIOS settings and see if there are any options for SATA/IDE ports and attempt to adjust those..

i have not reset CMOS but its a brand new board so it should be on default settings, i've looked around through bios didnt see anything that could be causing this issue

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom