CPU makes a quiet ticking sound

Status
Not open for further replies.

EspressoMorning

Solid State Member
Update>CPU makes a quiet ticking sound

Anyone know if its normal for a cpu to make a quiet ticking sound when ac power is plugged in. This happens even with the bare motherboard/cpu on the bench with nothing else attached. It's a laptop, the machine died with no warning. Before disasembly there were no lights or any other activity when plugged in; could
hear this ticking sound, and took apart to find out what was making it.
I've never noticed a cpu by itself to make noise before.
Thanks in advance for any info.

UPDATE:
I removed the cpu and "YES" its still making the sound without it.
Anyway, I removed the cmos battery and left it overnight. After reassembling the laptop now the disk drive light comes on steady as soon as its plugged in. Still wont start. Light goes out a couple seconds after power disconnected. Now I dont hear the ticking sound anymore as well. Maybe its a bios problem.

no the CPU isnt supposed to make any noises at all. Seeing as there are no moving parts in a CPU, the only reason it would be making a 'ticking' noise, is if you are actually hearing an electrical spark, which of course is bad news.

Can you smell that familiar burnt metal smell from the CPU? That could answer a few questions.

good lordy sounds like it may be arcing....never a good thing....prolly why it doesn't work now.

When a cpu starts making noises its either time to find a shrink, stop drinking so much, or get a new PC.

Mine sings, and sometimes, if I'm doing a lot of work, it shouts in German and complains about my RAM chips being co-conspiritors...

Other than that, my PC just hums steadily. I don't think it knows the words.

ShoobieRat said:
Mine sings, and sometimes, if I'm doing a lot of work, it shouts in German and complains about my RAM chips being co-conspiritors...

Hahaha. Mine only shouts obscenities when im running too many programs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom