Will It Fit?

Status
Not open for further replies.
However running a psu much higher than you need really does lower it's power efficiency rating.

In the end you wind up paying more for it to begin with and then pay more to power it until your taking advantage of all it's power.

The difference can be as much as 5% of running a fully loaded psu versus one at 50% load.

That depends on the Psu in question some of them use active power management like mine, which has a 86% efficiency when used at 400W and a 82% efficiency at its max 800W. The Psu only draws the power it needs so the efficiency unless drastically reduced isn't a major issue and saves you the £60 of buying a brand new one when you outgrow the power capacities of the old.
BFG Tech - ES-800 Power Supply

It seems your numbers are a bit off both from what BFG claims and from what Bit-tech got when testing.

At 50% load they got a result of 84% and at full load it dropped to 80%

In your link BFG claims roughly 82% from 50-100% load.

Anyways, the OP said that he is not planning on upgrading until the card dies so It would seem he realistically has at least another year or 2 before it will wind up being replaced. At which time he can buy whatever psu he wants/needs. For the time being the Antec 380W will provide all the power he needs and he won't need to spend any money on it as it comes with the case.

Antec are perfectly within there rights to throw refurbs into their case bundles. Coolermaster were caught up in a law suit a couple of years ago because of it, but they couldn't be prosecuted as the psu was never advertised as new merely certified blah blah....... That is a budget case and so I wouldn't be surprised if Antec cut corners for extended profits. Would this psu even come with a guarantee?

It seems your numbers are a bit off both from what BFG claims and from what Bit-tech got when testing.
At 50% load they got a result of 84% and at full load it dropped to 80%
In your link BFG claims roughly 82% from 50-100% load.

I just did a quick google of reviews I knew the numbers were around 85%-80% and the first review result gave me those figures

two 8800gt's? i couldnt run a single 4870 with my antec 380w earthwatts. i had to use the 6pin converter since the EW only has alone pci-e but which puts bit mroe pressure on the psu but i thought it would still run, maybe its just becuase i had like 2 different drivers installed at the time xD , hd3200 on board/4870 catalyst and nV 179.13

I also have to power 3 harddrives, 2 optical drives, a soundcard and a wireless card plus 2x60mm 1x80mm and 1x120mm fans. With just a single 8800gts and everything except the soundcard my computer wouldn't spin up, taking out the wireless card would allow it to run though so it was just at the limits of psu's peak draw upon startup. I would have to plug the pci wireless card after the initial boot which was tedious.

Antec are perfectly within there rights to throw refurbs into their case bundles. Coolermaster were caught up in a law suit a couple of years ago because of it, but they couldn't be prosecuted as the psu was never advertised as new merely certified blah blah....... That is a budget case and so I wouldn't be surprised if Antec cut corners for extended profits. Would this psu even come with a guarantee?

What are you talking about?

It has a three year warranty.

Its also an 80+ certified psu, and the case is far from a budget case.

two 8800gt's? i couldnt run a single 4870 with my antec 380w earthwatts. i had to use the 6pin converter since the EW only has alone pci-e but which puts bit mroe pressure on the psu but i thought it would still run, maybe its just becuase i had like 2 different drivers installed at the time xD , hd3200 on board/4870 catalyst and nV 179.13

Yup, i used a dual molex to pci-e connector for the second card. power draw is seriously over estimated.

I also have to power 3 harddrives, 2 optical drives, a soundcard and a wireless card plus 2x60mm 1x80mm and 1x120mm fans. With just a single 8800gts and everything except the soundcard my computer wouldn't spin up, taking out the wireless card would allow it to run though so it was just at the limits of psu's peak draw upon startup. I would have to plug the pci wireless card after the initial boot which was tedious.

All those components you listed dont draw more than 300 watts. sounds like its more of a hardware issue, cause the system below runs 24/7 with no issues. The cards alone draw at least 110 watts each.

Two 8800GT's, both overclocked. 65watt dual core, one hd, one dvd drive, three 120mm led fans and one 80mm fan, 4 channel fan controller with led's and hd cooler:

s5000267ke7.jpg

If it was a hardware issue it wouldn't of mattered whether it was on boot or once the system was running. Upon boot a power surge is needed to start the components running which is why it was struggling to run with the wireless card just pushing it over the edge.

It was possible to use a workaround which is to turn the psu off via the switch on the back for 10 seconds. Then turning the switch and simultaneously the pc on caused the power surge to be increased and the amps available from the psu are momentarily at a peak above normal operational standards. My pc also runs normally 24-7 and has done for 2 years, my solutions for turning it on were either to unplug the pci wireless card and turn it on or surge the psu. Taking out the wireless card was the easier and quicker option.

That is a budget a case have you looked at the htpc market lately cases range from $70-2000 there is even some special editions which are $10,000. It is made from rolled steel which is the cheapest metal cases are made from, next up is SECC steel, then aluminium frontage and full aluminium of varying grades. Newegg seems to have a rather limited selection of desktop pcs that look more like audio components then computers. This is quite a good selection of some of the best available; KustomPCs - HTPC, Gaming, CarPC, Cooling and Modding Products in the UK !

The retail version of the psu comes with a 3 year guarantee the bundled might not you will only know once you have bought it.

If it was a hardware issue it wouldn't of mattered whether it was on boot or once the system was running. Upon boot a power surge is needed to start the components running which is why it was struggling to run with the wireless card just pushing it over the edge.

It was possible to use a workaround which is to turn the psu off via the switch on the back for 10 seconds. Then turning the switch and simultaneously the pc on caused the power surge to be increased and the amps available from the psu are momentarily at a peak above normal operational standards. My pc also runs normally 24-7 and has done for 2 years, my solutions for turning it on were either to unplug the pci wireless card and turn it on or surge the psu. Taking out the wireless card was the easier and quicker option.

That is a budget a case have you looked at the htpc market lately cases range from $70-2000 there is even some special editions which are $10,000. It is made from rolled steel which is the cheapest metal cases are made from, next up is SECC steel, then aluminium frontage and full aluminium of varying grades. Newegg seems to have a rather limited selection of desktop pcs that look more like audio components then computers. [/url]

The retail version of the psu comes with a 3 year guarantee the bundled might not you will only know once you have bought it.

I don't understand why your trying to prove your point that this is a budget case because there are thousand dollar ones out there.

That's like saying a 50k Mercedes is a beater because there are million dollar cars out there.

Also SECC is rolled steel. /facepalm

Finally all this crud you've been spewing about how your 2 optical drives, 3 hard drives, audio card, wireless card, and all 5 of your fans, drawing sooooo much power is absolute bull. Your fans together don't draw more than 20 watts, hard drives hardly use any, and optical drives only use power when your reading or writing a disc. Same goes for the audio and wireless cards. One just outputs data and the other is just a big antenna with a chip on the board.

None of the things you listed are particularly demanding on a power supply.

And to put it all to rest...

[RANT]

HE ISN'T RUNNING 2 8800GT'S, 5 FANS, 3 HARD DRIVES, AND TWO CD DRIVES. THAT POWER SUPPLY WILL BE MORE THAN ENOUGH TO POWER HIS HARDWARE.

END OF DISCUSSION.

[/RANT]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom