no power

Status
Not open for further replies.
sorry Runkster but unlike urself, i learned this info long ago in a class environment. i also prolly have more real world electrical experience then u.

at the time, my GM professor was explaining this to us, cause GM was experimenting with 40v batteries. the average voltage limit for breaking the human body resistence to cause a dangerouse current flow is 30v. 2x the normal voltage encountered in a vehicales harness.

of course that varies some depending on how fat u r. but u get the point.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
so, just leave it at that.. ex.- u sound like one of those ppl who self diagnose themself with a sickness, but of couse is rong, cause your nota doctorl

voltage limit for breaking the human body resistence to cause a dangerouse current flow is 30v

Current flow is measured in Amps not Volts. Please see sithspawn's formula for further explanation of the relation of current to voltage. He explained it quite clearly and you just disproved yourself with that statement.

Your personal digs are duely noted and I will try to be a better person tomorrow and go to the doctor as per your expert advice.

Human body is a better conducter than air. voltage pushes the amps. so voltage is causing the shock, but the amps are what will kill u. remember the voltage and amperage/current are complementary to each other

yeah but its all dependant on resistance. so it doesnt matter how small the voltage is, if you also have a small resistance (small voltage divided by an even smaller number (approx zero) is still a large number for the current)

1 divided by a number approaching zero approaches infinity.....

inifinity = big number. Anyway, you get what i mean. (well should do if your not an imcompetant idiot)

human body resistence is prolly around 30000 ohms then.

u can easily find out urself, just use an ohm meter on your body. i'd test it myself, but i dont have a multimeter currently avalible.. let me know how that goes then.

*pulls out the multimeter and sets it to ohms*

okay ive done a couple of readings:

barefoot - hand to toe: 843 Ohms

Wet and Barefoot - hand to toe: 1x10^-9 Ohms

so as you can see, it is possible to be killed by somethign as small as 1 volt. or even 12 volts

When Calculating ( in a university environment) for an experiment, you ALWAYS have to take the worst case scenario when dealing with electrics, so you can be safe. If one of the wires breaks and goes to ground through you, you HAVE TO ASSUME that you have close to a zero resistance because it COULD happen and you need to be prepared for such an event. Thats why, in ANY experiment involving electrical circuits, you have to make sure either the Resistance of the circuit is very large, so if it does break and goes to ground through you, there is already a high resistance, or you need to make sure you are wearing heavily insulated footwear....

guys im bout to be a sophomore, i have no fricjen idea wat u guys r talking about, but ill tell u both this, lightning will defenitly kill u.

yeah do. i mean, mine is just a little one that i got from christmas last year, and its not that precise but it does the job. The ones that we use at Uni are a LOT more precise (digital ones (CRO's)).

Oh and lightning doesnt necessarily kill you. Like i keep on saying, if you have a very high resistance when the lightning strikes you (VERY HIGH) you wont have a strong enough current to kill you. It takes 10,000V to cross a distance of 1 cm in air, so you can imagine how much lightning would be. However, if you have an insanely high resistance (some people just do, others wear funky shoes, others are in a car) the lgihtning wont kill you. Although teh heat from it could. Thats why you hear about people surviving lightning strikes. High resistance bodies = low current.

My aunty actually got sruck by lightning at the start of the year. It didnt actually hit here, it hit the gutter as she had her key in the door, and it traveled through the key into here and blew her back.

buts shes alive so its all good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom