4870 X2 problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Waphlez

Fully Optimized
Okay I got my GIGABYTE 4780 X2 yesterday, after I thought my computer died it came back. Now when I try to test it out I noticed I'm not getting anywhere near the performance I should be (only about 1000-1500 more marks than my 8800 GTX in 3dMark06) which leads me to believe only one of the two 4870 GPUs is being utilized.

Seems to be a common problem:

AMD Game Forums - 4870x2

I've heard multiple people say it's the drivers. I'm using Catalyst 8.9 ( the 8.10 version wouldn't work) with "Driver Packaging Version" 8.53. (see below)

infocenterhv7.jpg

They say we should be using 8.56 and some say they even had 8.54 but I can't find them anywhere! Some say it's off the CD that comes with the card but my CD is only 8.52...

Does anybody know a solution and if you have a 4870 card can you tell me what drivers are you using and where you got them?

EDIT:

I noticed this when looking at the second GPU under "Information Center > Graphics Hardware"

infocenter2co2.jpg

It says "Disabled Adapter" while the other says "Primary Adapter" it should be enabled or called linked adapter or something like that. So it seems it is disabled.

EDIT:

Okay I managed to install Catalyst 8.10 which also installed 8.54 display drivers yet it still has my second GPU listed as "Disabled Adapter" (Where the **** is this 8.56 driver! Actually they might of meant 8.26, the one on my CD is 8.22)

By the looks of it you're right only one is working. Mine says primary adapter, then linked adapter.
using catalyst 8.9
driver package 8.53
vista64

i didn't even know 8.10 was out and never heard of 8.56

unfortunately I don't know much about ATI cards, and i Hate catalyst control center. Compared to nVidia control panel it's junk lol. IMO anyway.
I can't even get the folding@home app to work.
Got my drivers right from ati.amd.com

As far as I know there isn't even supposed to be a way to disable a GPU on the 4870 X2. Maybe it's DOA?
I'd wait for STE's response. hope you don't have to RMA it :/

I'm RMAing it for a refund. This is bullcrap. I'm going to lose about 90 bucks after the restocking fee and RMA shipping. I managed to get a hold of the 8.526 drivers (I don't think 8.56 exists... yet) the people are talking about and it still is not enabling the second GPU (it's not dead, it's just not being utilized). I just had enough, I spent all day lurking google and forums. Uninstalling and installing Catalyst and display drivers dozens of times. It even got so bad after uninstalling/reinstalling that CCC wouldn't even open. Even reinstalling it didn't work so I had to reformat windows.

Not only I'm down 90 bucks but hours of busy work getting my computer back to it's original state. (yea, some say switching to Vista and vista drivers fixed it for them, but I'm not going to do all that. I just want my money back (or should I say most of it) and just go back to my 8800 GTX.)

Yea, 8.10 official drivers are out but not officially I guess (and they're not beta, the real deal, ATI should release them in a few days).

If youve tried everything else you may want to try the slider bar under catalyst AI, sometimes that affects whether games use crossfire.

Otherwise RMA..

Have you tried any games? Or just 3Dmark.

I don't know why it would not work with 3Dmark, but its the games you want it to work with right?

Wouldn't matter. It needs to say "Linked Adapter". If it says "Disabled Adapter" it has that problem many owners have. If I play a game it's obvious when GPU 1 is running at 85 C and GPU 2 running at 48 C. There seems to be no way to enable it, through the drivers. I tried just about every XP driver out there and none work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom