Just installed XP on an original Vista laptop. Now the ethernet is gone

Status
Not open for further replies.

dannyual767

In Runtime
I know this is a laptop question but I felt that I may get a little more exposure in this forum.

I've got a 1yr old Toshiba Satellite that originally had Vista. I just installed XP and now I've got numerous weird issues. First and foremost is the fact that in network connections, the only thing that shows up is "1394 connection." There is no ethernet connection! I looked in device manager and there is no ethernet connection.

How can I find my ethernet so that I can connect up to the internet.

By the way, the computer doesn't have the XP driver for my wireless either but I know where to get that driver if I can just get to the internet.

Danny

I've got a 1yr old Toshiba Satellite laptop that was originally Vista. The hard drive went bad and I replaced it with the hard drive that came out of my dead Systemax XP laptop. Things worked well until this past week and I felt that the best thing to do was to reformat the Toshiba with the XP discs that came with the Systemax.

Today, I reformatted the Toshiba and all went well. I knew that I was going to have to go to the internet to get the driver for my wireless card however, I was surprised to find that my Toshiba no longer had a driver for the ethernet :eek: ! If I go to start/control panel/network connections, all I see is 1394 connection. There is no ethernet. If I go to device manager, there is no ethernet. I can't even hook my computer up to the internet :(.

Problem #2. My computer now no longer has a standby or hibernate option. If I go to start then shut down, it only gives me the option to shut down or restart. It used to have an option to standby. How do I get these options back? I've already gone to control panel/power options and there is no standby and there is no system hibernate. My wife's laptop has these and mine did before I reformatted today.

Problem #3. Similar to problem 2: If I go to power options and click on advanced, there is a drop down menu under Power buttons that says, "When I close the lid of my portable computer:" The only option in the drop down menu is "Do nothing." What the heck is going on with this thing? Please help.

Danny

Moderators,
Okay, I just saw that I got scolded for posting another thread in the wrong forum. Please move this one for me as well and I won't post in the wrong forum again. My apologies.

There is a laptop forum for a reason. Posting in a different area to get exposure is not acceptable.

http://www.techist.com/forums/f4/policy-change-forums-181028/

Moved to right forum.

You have to install your ethernet drivers.

I had already installed and run the drivers disc so I thought that the drivers were already installed. Since you said to install the drivers, I thought, "what the heck. I'll just stick the disc in again." Guess what? This time the install went differently and I knew drivers were actually being loaded up :D ! I've now got my ethernet card and I've got other things that were missing too. Thanks for the help!!!!!!

Danny

Merfed your threads together. So do you still have problem 2 and 3 still or are you all set?

No more problems! The correct install of the drivers solved all the problems. Like I said, I ran the drivers disc but the install didn't go right the first time. 2nd time was the charm and all is well now :D . Thank you!!!!!

Danny

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom