Changing Motherboard

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ethan_Kaizer

Daemon Poster
I currently have an ECS 945GCT-M v.2 motherboard:

Newegg.com - ECS 945GCT-M/1333 (V3.0) LGA 775 Intel 945GC Micro ATX Intel Motherboard - Intel Motherboards (This is v.3, but mine is very similar).

I might be getting some money soon, so I'm thinking of changing it with this:
Newegg.com - BIOSTAR TForce TP45HP LGA 775 Intel P45 ATX Intel Motherboard - Intel Motherboards

First reason is because my board only supports 2gb of ddr2 667 ram, and I have Vista 64 bit, so I want at least 4 gigs of ddr2 800 ram, if not better. Second reason is that I can't currently have a larger graphics card (in the future) because it might be blocked by the power connector, as it is a small board. I also can't overclock with this motherboard, but I hear my E4600 (2.4 GHz stock) can overclock very nicely, to about 3.2 GHz with stock cooling. Lastly, I want to have Crossfire capabilities in the future, maybe add a second HD 4670.

First question: Is this the best board for that price range, that has good OCing and crossfire?

Second question: If I change from my current board to this P45 board, will I have to reinstall my OS, or have to reformat, or anything of the sort? Because I have a lot of music, games, and files on this drive, and I also don't have a Vista OS disc, I would have to get my hands on a copy somehow.

Third Question: I have never OC'ed before. Would it be relatively easy with my CPU and this Biostar board? I don't want to mess up, and ruin my hardware or anything of the sort, and I don't want to have to spend weeks dealing with updating my Bios and changing settings and troubleshooting to be able to OC. I just want the mobo to work out of the box, without all of this being a painful procedure.

My current CPU: Newegg.com - Intel Core 2 Duo E4600 Allendale 2.4GHz 2MB L2 Cache LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor - Processors - Desktops

pretty much the board u linked is the best p45 board for overclocking.

u dont have to but make sure u get any drivers out from ur current mb so u dont have conflicts, i would just try to reinstall anyway get a external hd or large usb drive.

sence that board is very popular alot of ppl have it so your questions about overclocking on it should be answered relatively easy, as for cpu, idk never seen one overclocked

I would seriously advise you to format and reinstal everything. You 'can' swap them over and do a windows repair, but i personally wouldnt. Just cleaning the drivers is not enough - it may have worked for someone once, but it is not worth the grief if it doesnt work.

Ruining hardware by overclocking isnt easy these days. You would have to do something really drastic. Modern hardware switchs off before any real damage happens. Frying a CPU is fairly difficult these days - just follow some guides and you will be fine.

yeah i doubt everything will work nicely after your install ur new mobo, so backup and reinstall anyway to insure it works correctly. yeah overclocking isnt too hard, and with the new boards u can pretty much just type in a new fsb and hit enter and press f10 t0 save chnages and exit to get to a avg speed without increasing voltage. i did have a e4600 once for a customer but i think it was paired which a g31 mobo so overclocking was very limited.

Thanks for the help. Only problem is, i'd have to get my hands on another copy of Vista 64 bit. If my cousin can get me a copy, and I get the money I'm owed, I might consider buying it. If not, I can live.

download the server 2008 trial, i heard it lasts like 3 months or something and it uses less resources than vista.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom