Q9450 Overclock

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi again.

Well, I noticed as I was making my way through the list of settings in the System Memory Multiplier, that the Memory Frequency (Mhz) would change also. I'll list the setting for the System Memory Multiplier like you asked, and in parentheses next to it I'll put what the Memory Frequency changed to.

2.00 (667)
2.40 (800)
3.20 (1066)
3.33 (1111)
4.0+ (1333)
2.50 (833)
3.00 (1000)
4.0~ (133)

Please let me know what you think.
Pez

correct, your memory speed is directly linked to your FSB, as the FSB raises, so will the memory. in increments decided by the multiplier.
put it to 667 for now and see if that will post the overclock.
what that does is lower your ram below its spec. so that you can be sure it is not the problem with the overclock.

Hi.

Well, some good news.

I used that Gigabyte Intelligent Tweaker in the BIOS and was able to get a stable overclock. I was able to boot to my desktop (without getting that POST screen twice and then the "Windows didn't load properly" error).

I then loaded up the game of Crysis and played for about 15 to 20 minutes; all settings are on High. Frame rates were in the 50's and 60's at times!! Nice. Game/ system did not crash out and reboot.

However (and no, this isn't really that bad), what I tweaked the overclock to wasn't what I had originally intended. I had wanted to go to 3.2GHz.

nagasama: Remember you said in your last post to Adjust my System Memory Multiplier so that my Memory Frequency reads 667? And as you already know (but I'm still learning!!!), when you adjust the FSB to raise the speed of the CPU, the numbers in the Memory Frequency are changing right along with it as you raise the FSB.

So after I adjusted the FSB to 400 which put the CPU speed at 3.2GHz, I then went down to the System Memory Multiplier to adjust that like you said so I would get a memory Frequency of 667. Well, the option of getting 667 is no longer there, due, I suppose, to what I had adjusted the FSB to.

So I went back to the FSB and lowered it so my CPU speed was 3.0GHz. When I went back to the System Memory Multiplier and adjusted it, the memory Frequency of 667 was still not there to be offered, but, there was one now of 752. Still, this is less than my 800 (below my RAM's spec). So I saved the changes, booted up, and played Crysis.

However, let me mention this: When I had originally raised the FSB to 400 to put the CPU at 3.2GHz and 667 was now not available in the Memory Frequency, I did notice what was available was 800 itself (my RAM's actual spec) when I was adjusting the System Memory Multiplier.

Do you think I should give it a shot and do FSB to 400, giving me 3.2GHz on the CPU, and then do the System Memory Multiplier to get 800 Memory Frequency?

And oh yeah......in all my excitement to get this Multiplier correct and the Memory Frequency, there were some things I didn't change:

You know how in the Advanced BIOS Features there's that C1E and EIST? In previous attempts at overclocking, I had disabled those (I had read this in one of the overclocking guides). I left them both enabled. In the Guide it says these are power-saving options and could be enabled later on if the system remains stable, meaning, try disabling them first and see if the system is stable. Do you think I should try disabling them?

And also......on previous overclocking attempts, I had taken the System Voltage Control off of Auto and Manually raised the Vcore to 1.275. But, on this successful overclock (in all my excitement again) I had left it on Auto and things seem stable. I checked CPUID/ CPU-Z and it says the Core Voltage is 1.104. Is this one of those "leave well enough alone" situations? Or should I manually bump it up a bit to ensure proper voltage to the CPU if needed? In this thread I saw that you and dark_strike1 both listed your Q9450 speeds and their voltages (both of your speeds are higher than mine but also your voltages are higher).

Anyway......thanks for all your help thus far; I've got a stable overclock so far thanks to you.

So let me know what you think about the:

- System Memory Multiplier if I adjust the FSB to 400 to get a 3.2GHz clock speed, but that the memory Frequency of 667 will not be there, but my RAM's actual spec of 800 will be there

- C1E and EIST: Disable them in BIOS just to see if I can remain stable?

- Change Voltage Control off of Auto to Manual and raise it a bit if I try the current clock speed for a while or possibly push out some more?

Look forward to hearing from you again.
Pez

- System Memory Multiplier if I adjust the FSB to 400 to get a 3.2GHz clock speed, but that the memory Frequency of 667 will not be there, but my RAM's actual spec of 800 will be there

- C1E and EIST: Disable them in BIOS just to see if I can remain stable?

- Change Voltage Control off of Auto to Manual and raise it a bit if I try the current clock speed for a while or possibly push out some more?

Look forward to hearing from you again.
Pez

ok great glad you got it going.
1- yes it should run 800 as well, as that is your memory's stock speed. should be no problem.
2- yes disable them both. they could cause instability when they are at low speed and you ramp up to full load and full overclocked speed. also could cause instability coming OFF a load and dropping the multi and clock speed. so yes, turn them off.
3- try voltage at lowest possible that it will boot. if it bsods or hangs, re-set cmos and bump it up a notch. if it boots into windows, but crashes, you are typically within 1-2 notches of stable voltage.
4- run stability tests. intel burn in test is good, gets the chip hot, and only takes 5-10 minutes to run instead of 12 hours of prime. it will tell you really quick if you have insufficient voltage or an unstable OC.
5- what are your other voltage selections (NB, PLL, VTT etc) and what do you have them set to?

Hi.

I've been pleased with the stable overclock so far, so I haven't tweaked things further yet......but I might!!! :)

1 - For right now I've left my RAM (Memory Frequency) a little below spec after adjusting ther System Memory Multiplier; my RAM is 800MHz, but it's at 750 right now.

2 - Yes, I've disabled C1E and EIST; I hope this lent to the stability.

3 - With the voltage since taking it off Auto, I've had it at 1.25000V; I believe when I had it on Auto I got a crash/ reboot because (I believe) since I had raised the FSB to get my CPU speed to 3.0GHz, the CPU wasn't getting enough juice.

4 - I downloaded that Intel Burn-In Test program; I'll run it soon and tell you how it goes.

5 - Those other voltages you listed: NB, PLL & VTT. Perhaps it's different depending on what make/ model of motherboard, but I couldn't find those listing in my BIOS. The only one I sorta could find was the NB one (that's North Bridge, correct?). On my motherboard, it's listed as (G)MCH, and this is supposedly the voltage going to the North Bridge. Right now mine's on "Normal", but if I wanted to change it, the choices are from +0.1v to 0.3v. Should I leave that alone or bump it up?

Here's all the voltage choices in my BIOS with what I have it at and the choices in parentheses:

DDR2/ DDR3 OverVoltage Control: Normal (+01v to 0.7v)
PCI-E OverVoltage Control: Normal (+01v to 0.3v)
FSB OverVoltage Control: Normal (+01v to 0.3v)
(G)MCH OverVoltage Control: Normal (+01v to 0.3v)
CPU Voltage Control: 1.25000v (0.90000v to 2.00000v)
[Normal CPU Vcore: 1.25000v]

Let me know what you think,
Pez

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom