WD USB External Drive Not Recognized

Status
Not open for further replies.
How do you take this thing apart, dont see any screws, just pry the top from the bottom? Not sure why just taking the top off would help, plus, how do you plug it in any other way besides USB?

Kurrent: Yes, drive worked in another computer, a desktop, just plugged in the USB and was recognized. Plugged into the case.

Also, had a USB card reader that used to work (just like the WD USB drive), and now the computer does not recognize it.

3 ports on the laptop, I dont think it is faulty, every other USB items I have works, except this USB drive and the USB card reader.

I dont have a powered USB hub...but dont think that will solve the problem, I think there is a problem w/ the usb hub. How could I find out? Works w/ mice, but not w/ this particular type of WD external drive, but worked with some others.

Thanks Kurrent...just confused, why would it work on a nearly exact same WD USB drive?

Also, I have Vista, and under Device Mgr, it is seeing the USB drive.

OK, sees it when I try to Safely Remove...believe it is just not assigning it a hard drive ltr.

Thanks Kurrent...just confused, why would it work on a nearly exact same WD USB drive?

It's just the slight differences between the 2 drives. USB 2.0 wasn't designed to power 2.5" hard drives even though it works most of the time. I have 8 generic external hard drive enclosures with old laptop drives. Two of them have Seagate drives that won't work off of just USB power alone. But they work when powered by a hub with it's own power.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom