need help (upgrades!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

newtek

Solid State Member
well i have an old computer its windows 98 256mb ram i dont know the hdd size but anyways i want to upgrade it to make it a little more modern and reliable i was thinking hard drive around 120gb and ram at least 1gb and a better operating system, also a new disk drive dvd/cd burner, usb 2.0, possibly graphics card and i want to spend 300 bucks more or less can anyone help me find these things or other things to upgrade these are just things i think need an upgrade but im no expert post links if you can

well i guess no one here cares well i guess im moving on to a new forum where people actually reply to threads

u waited 6 hours for a reply, things take time and ppl arnt payed to reply to ur thread, also if ur computer is running 98 chances are that any upgrade u buy wont work on ur computer, i would recommend just building or buying a new one, maybe saving up some more cash to get something better..

alright i dont know why i posted that :rolleyes: well i was going to put a new os on it like vista but i need at least 512 mb of ram and at least 14 gb free space on hard drive ,and i need at least a 800 mhz processor i dont know what it has now but its most likely not good enough and i probably would get a better graphics card if i upgrade those i should be able to install it right if i could which ones should i get

Well, in order to use all of the items you listed, you'll need to buy a new motherboard and most likely a new power supply.. If your computer currently runs Windows 98, I seriously doubt it will handle an AM2 CPU, nor will it handle DDR2 memory, PCI-Express, etc..

Computer components need to be "matched".. Since you seem to be taking the AMD route with the CPU (Good on ya, mate!), I'll try to explain..

Socket A CPU (XP series)
DDR (DDR1) RAM (PC3200 DDR400 Maximum Stock Speed)
AGP8x or PCI Graphics

Socket 939 CPU (Athlon 64, Athlon FX series)
DDR (DDR1) RAM (PC3200 DDR400 Maximum Stock Speed)
AGP8x, PCI, PCI-Express x16 Graphics

Socket AM2 CPU (Athlon 64, Athlon 64 X2)
DDR2 (DDR2) RAM (PC6400 DDR2-800 Maximum Stock Speed)
AGP8x, PCI, PCI-Express x16, PCI-Express x16 v2.0 Graphics

Socket AM2+ CPU (Athlon 64, Athlon 64 X2, Phenom X3 and X4, etc)
DDR2 (DDR2) RAM (PC6400 DDR2-800 Maximum Stock Speed)*
PCI, PCI-Express x16, PCI-Express x16 v2.0 Graphics

* - DDR2-1066 is the speed used by the Phenom CPUs, but typically must be manually set in the BIOS.. Most motherboards will by default put the memory in DDR2-800 mode..

If you're looking for a "Best Band For The Buck" build on the AM2 platform, you can't go wrong with the ASUS M2N-E Motherboard.. It's one of the better non-SLI boards available with the nVidia 570 Ultra chipset.. If you prefer an AMD chipset, NewEgg has plenty of those available as well..

Also note that almost all AM2+ motherboards will support AM2 processors, too..

well i guess buying a new computer would be cheaper any reccomendations i just something thats not so old and is more funtional and i dont want to spend alot of money

Actually, building your own computer is the better option in the long run, because you can build over time.. You don't necessarily need to buy EVERYTHING at once.. What is your maximum amount to spend on a computer, and what do you intend to use it for most of the time?? Knowing that will help us help you.. :)

I build computers all the time for friends and family.. It's a hobby for me, and it's nice for my friends that are into gaming because they get better parts without all the junk that comes with a store-bought computer.. :)

the most id spend would be 500 bucks + or - and i just want a working computer for regular use probably some gaming

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom