Baseband Member
i was hoping to build a rig with something at least similar to these specs:

NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GTS
Intel Core 2 Quad Q6700
Sound Blaster X-Fi Extreme Gamer
killer k1
4Gigs ddr2
Windows xp

I am not an extreme gamer so i thought i could rest easy with this type of rig, however, for
(1*)i want to know what your thoughts on it are.

and secondly

(2*) what Motherboard, power source, cooling system, and tower would run best with this???
any ideas? i could just find all of it on price watch and so other than those questions, i'm good to go.

Thanks for your support!!!

Kurai

- Q6700 is old and power hungry but still quite expensive so forget it, get a Q6600 or e8400, maybe a Q9550 if you feel like spending a little more cash.
- 8800GTS is old news, get a HD4850, blows the 8800GTS anway (Unfortunatly for me :( )
- What type of DDR2, it varies hugely as you should know.
- I haven't ever used a decent soundcard so I've no experience with them. Rather I find the inbuilt codecs on the motherboards fine for me most of the time. - As for the motherboard, same old GA-EP45-DS3R for me
- Corsair 500VX power supply
- Xigmatek S1283 Cooler or OCZ Vendetta II
- Case is your preferance, big cases like the Antec tweleve hundred are easiest to work with but are..well...bigger
- Vista is perhaps worth the upgrade to at this stage but again thats your choice
Zune Guy

How deadset are you on that Killer K1? I've read some horrible reviews. Way to expensive for the performance gain. PC Gamer did a review on it not too long ago and it gave MINIMAL FPS increase while not really helping latency at all.

If your not looking for SLI, or Crossfire, then i would reccommed the Gigabyte EP45-UD3R. Newegg.com - GIGABYTE GA-EP45-UD3R LGA 775 Intel P45 ATX Intel Motherboard - Intel Motherboards

Corsair, PPC, or equivalent 500-600w PSU for future proofing.

If your OC'ing i'd recommend the Xigmatek Rifle or Arctic Freezer 7.

If your not OC'ing then you can run stock cooling.

For a tower i would reccommend the Cooler Master CM690.

What is your budget?

And unless your dead set on a 8800GTS, you can get better performance out of the 4850. But if your not into newer games you could get away with an 8800 GT or 9800 GT for about 100 bucks.

well i'd like to purchase assassins creed, and i'd like to run oblivion on higher gfx settings than on my current lappy. and this is for future pref. so it doesn't matter about my budget currently. i can guarantee you though, that it won't matter. my biggest issue is finding MBs that'll be compatible with my stuff. any info on that for me? any stickies or tutorials you can link me to?

and like i said, i'm not THAT big of a gamer, but i don't want to run my games on my lappy when i could run it on a desktop, cause it just burns my hardrive up lol. i don't have that much money though. hopefully i won't have to worry about that in a few years. but believe me, i probably won't play often, but i like oblivion and to try out assassins creed. i do play a few online games though. and they are my more frequents. regardless. help me out buds! need a MB that'll be compatible! help me figure this stuff out!
THANKS A BUNCHES!!! (of oats...)

Don't get a Q6700, they're old and out dated. For the price of one of those you could get a Q9300 which has better tech and is faster. Then get a good P45 motherboard such as a Biostar I45 or any Asus P5Q.

If you want a good vid card that can run Oblivion and to be future proof then invest in a 4850 or 4870 depending what size monitor you'll be using. They are best bang for the buck right now.

Q6700 is old and power hungry, it never went through the revision that the Q6600 went through (No G0 Q6700)

yes q6700's didnt have a revision because they all came out G0, all q6700s are g0 unless u get a qx6700 which are all b3, they never got a revision on those.

also if u want a q6700, im selling one for 200 (link in sig), and imo a q6700 is a heck of a lot better then a q9300 - low multi and 45nm quads dont oc that well imo.

also as for the 8800gts in op, im selling my 9800gtx's for cheaper than u can get a new 8800gts

yeah, the q6700 also has a bigger cache. but with the newer mobo's you can kind of compensate for the low multi because they have a ability to get high fsb speeds (i45). but the q9300 is pretty low at only 7.5x and i heard it doesnt overclock much past 2.8-3. also if your buying ur gts from newegg, you might as well get the 4850 not that much more and its a much better card. evga b-stock has very low 8800gts's on clearence, try their site.

yes q6700's didnt have a revision because they all came out G0, all q6700s are g0 unless u get a qx6700 which are all b3, they never got a revision on those.

also if u want a q6700, im selling one for 200 (link in sig), and imo a q6700 is a heck of a lot better then a q9300 - low multi and 45nm quads dont oc that well imo.

also as for the 8800gts in op, im selling my 9800gtx's for cheaper than u can get a new 8800gts
My mistake. It was the QX6700 I had been thinking about :eek:
And that GA-P45-UD3R, wow! Wonder how much I could sell my board for? It would be a worthy upgrade!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom