Cant Delete Files in Knoppix

Status
Not open for further replies.

digitalninjas

Baseband Member
Hey, I was having a problem with a driver and SP2 so I booted up knoppix and tried to delete the driver but it said it couldn't be deleted, so then I tried to delete some random picture but that cant be deleted either. Have any idea why I cant delete files off my HDD on Knoppix?

you probably don't have the permissions set to be able delete files....are you root?

Knoppix, I believe, is set to view your hard drives as read-only by default. Boot up in safe mode with command prompt, or the Windows Recovery Console off of the Windows XP CD. This would be the easiest way to delete your files. I am not sure how to turn off the read-only HDD feature of Knoppix, but I think it can be done if you'd prefer that.

I know this is the Linux forum but if I have a Windows 98 CD and I can get into Command Prompt, how would I delete the file? I know where its at. BTW, I cant get into Recovery Console since I dont have my WinXP Pro cd with me :(

unmount the drive then remount it read-write and delete whatever you want, thats using knoppix or any other rescue linux for that matter

from command line in dos, cd to the file location and delete it
del <filename> ........I think that sysntax is right, mght be rm filename or delete filename, dont recall, my DOS is a little rusty.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom