First Time Build Critique Please

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hardgaming

Solid State Member
CPU - Intel quad core q6600

MB - ASUS Striker II Extreme LGA 775 NVIDIA Nforce 790i Ultra SLI DDR-3

Video card - GTX 280 Oc'ed to 650 mhz

Memory - CORSAIR DOMINATOR 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1800 (PC3 14400) Dual

Hard drive - Western Digital Caviar Black WD1001FALS 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive 32MB Cache

PowerSupply - Thermaltake / ToughPower / 1000-Watt / ATX / 140mm Fan / SATA Ready / SLI Ready / PFC/EPS / Power Supply

Chassis - Thermaltake Armor Series VA8000BWS Black Aluminum / Steel ATX Full Tower Computer Case

Monitor - Acer X223Wbd 22" Widescreen LCD Monitor - 2500:1, 1680 x 1050 (WSXGA+), VGA, DVI (HDCP)

DVD/CD Drive - Lite-ON IHAS220-08 SuperAllwrite SATA 20x DVD Burner with Lightscribe OEM - 20x DVD±R Burn, 8x DVD+RW, 6x DVD-RW, 8x DVD±R DL, 12x DVD-RAM, 48x32x CD-R/RW, Black

Sound Card - Creative Labs SB X-FI Titanium PCIe Sound Card

Printer - SAMSUNG ML-2510 Personal Up to 24 ppm Monochrome Laser Printer

Thermal Paste - MASSCOOL Stars-700 Silver thermal grease - Retail

Lighting - LOGISYS Computer LDKMTBL1 Single Blue Meteor Light Kit - Retail

CPU Cooler - Thermaltake CL-P0464 DuOrb CPU Cooler for AMD CPUs

Keyboard/Mouse - Logitech MX 5500 Revolution Cordless Desktop Keyboard & Mouse Combo

Total = $2,700 What do you think. Please do not recommend going with the ATI. Nvidia has caused me no problems all this time. THank you

Hahaha, unfortunately, I HAVE to recommend ATI. Nvidia motherboards (the latest 700i series) are riddled with issues and are poor overclockers. Plus, spending all that money and getting just a Q6600 would be very foolish. I would advise you to go the route of P45 or X48 chipset and a Q9450 or above. Then, if you still must have Nvidia, go with your GTX 280, but the ATI cards are performing much better and for cheaper than Nvidia.

Also, change your CPU cooler and thermal paste to something like a Xigmatek HDT-S1283 and MX-2.

Oh and the Power Supply is a bit much as well. Go with the always true and all-you'll-ever-need PSU, Corsair 750tx.

Do you really need a 790i Ultra? I think they are way over priced and you can do the same things with a $170 board instead of that $400 Striker Extreme. And don't waste money on DDR3 ram yet, wait until Nehalem and the X58 boards.

Plus if your gonna spend that much on a build, might as well get a better quad core:
Newegg.com - Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 Yorkfield 2.83GHz 12MB L2 Cache LGA 775 95W Quad-Core Processor - Processors - Desktops

And that PSU is way overkill, all you need is this:
Newegg.com - CORSAIR CMPSU-750TX 750W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Power Supply - Power Supplies

And the cooler you picked out for your cpu is for a AMD so you need a Intel cooler. This would be a nice one, comes with a better thermal paste and everything you need:
Newegg.com - Sunbeam CR-CCTF 120mm "Core Contact Freezer" CPU Cooler - CPU Fans & Heatsinks

Edit: Surge kinda beat me to it while I was compiling my post

:D It is good to know that my opinions are shared by other intelligent members.

I was also considering suggesting the Sunbeam, as I had recently been hearing good things about it, but I could not remember the name of it or model number, so I simply went with my old favorite Xiggy.

^ Hahahah true
Yea don't get me wrong the Xigmatek Rifle is a good cooler, I like it, but I also heard good things about the Sunbeam.

780 and 790i are not poor overclockers... if i managed a q6600 at 3.8 everyday use on a 680i...

and there are plenty of success stories on ocing w/ 7 series mobo's...

not many here on this forum though...of course there aren't many owners of them here, either.
the sunbeam is called "core contact" i think. supposedly it is a little better than an s1283. the s1283 rocks, i use one.

i've got to play with a 790i and q9450 and i had a graet time with it :p

i am looking into the 790i/780i myself

when do you plan on purchasing... because if you don't mind waiting 2 weeks i will be purchasing one of the two myself

and if you really want good 790i reviews... go on XtremeSystems Forums - Powered by vBulletin and type in 790i in the search box... you'll find great results

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom