MSI ATI 4850 overclocking

Status
Not open for further replies.

tkim113

Baseband Member
man was i scared yesterday.

Yesterday, after watching some tutorial videos on youtube. I decided to give overclocking a try. I downloaded rivatuner, made some changes then decided to play rainbow six vegas all maxed out to see core temperature, performance etc.

Then my computer froze then crashed. Eesh, was I scared. Turned my computer back on, and thankfully everything was okay.

I have couple questions on overclocking my gfx card

-do I need a good heat sink for my processor if I want to overclock my gfx card? Because I am just using my stock heat sink right now that came with my intel duo.

- Is there a program that will purposely put extra work on my gfx card while showing my performance? I want to keep a close eye on the gfx card's temperature while testing. I don't want any heat damage on my card

- Any tips on overclocking that you can give me?

-do I need a good heat sink for my processor if I want to overclock my gfx card? Because I am just using my stock heat sink right now that came with my intel duo.

no, unless you're overclocking your processor. over clocking your gfx card has no bearing on your cpu.

- Is there a program that will purposely put extra work on my gfx card while showing my performance? I want to keep a close eye on the gfx card's temperature while testing. I don't want any heat damage on my card

download 3dmark06 (free download, just google it) and run that, or play a game for like 25-30 minutes. also use riva tuner's hardware maintenance utility to monitor the temps. it will keep track of it over a period of time so just watch the graph and see if it goes over an undesired temp.

- Any tips on overclocking that you can give me?

start small and remember that if you do **** it up just restart your computer and it will be fine. also keep track of your core/memory clocks as if you do have to restart your computer it will lose all of those settings, and you don't wanna have to go through all the work of getting those stable clocks again.

no, unless you're overclocking your processor. over clocking your gfx card has no bearing on your cpu.

download 3dmark06 (free download, just google it) and run that, or play a game for like 25-30 minutes. also use riva tuner's hardware maintenance utility to monitor the temps. it will keep track of it over a period of time so just watch the graph and see if it goes over an undesired temp.

start small and remember that if you do **** it up just restart your computer and it will be fine. also keep track of your core/memory clocks as if you do have to restart your computer it will lose all of those settings, and you don't wanna have to go through all the work of getting those stable clocks again.

can you tell me some info on the function of core/memory clocks? and what exactly is a stable core/memory clocks. i am very new to this.

i am giving you an invisible kudos since you dont have a kudos bar on your sig :D

haha. thanks, yeah i don't really care for the kudos bar. like just personal opinion on it really. but the core and memory clocks just determine how much faster the gpu can process requests. so if you have clocks at 100/200 (for argument's sake) it will only run games at such a high fps. if you overclock it to like 125/250 then it will run at a higher fps because it can process the requests for the images much faster.

also 'stable clocks' is a very subjective term. some people will tell you that you need to be able to play a graphicly demanding game for close to 8-10 hours without it crashing once to make it a stable overclock. some will tell you all you need to do is run a single 3dmark run. I would say if you can make it through a 3dmark06 run and a couple hours of gaming you're stable. if it crashes at all though then you need to lower the clocks so its more stable.

haha. thanks, yeah i don't really care for the kudos bar. like just personal opinion on it really. but the core and memory clocks just determine how much faster the gpu can process requests. so if you have clocks at 100/200 (for argument's sake) it will only run games at such a high fps. if you overclock it to like 125/250 then it will run at a higher fps because it can process the requests for the images much faster.

also 'stable clocks' is a very subjective term. some people will tell you that you need to be able to play a graphicly demanding game for close to 8-10 hours without it crashing once to make it a stable overclock. some will tell you all you need to do is run a single 3dmark run. I would say if you can make it through a 3dmark06 run and a couple hours of gaming you're stable. if it crashes at all though then you need to lower the clocks so its more stable.

so lets per se i had it clocked to 100/200 setting, then the card will try to work 100~200 frames per second?

so lets per se i had it clocked to 100/200 setting, then the card will try to work 100~200 frames per second?

no, its dependent on the game and such. and that was just to say that if you increase the clock speeds just a bit it will run faster. really you don't see a whole lot of improvement in game, like if you see choppiness now, it will decrease and get smoother, but really the only reason to overclock is cause you're bored or are running benchmarks.

use ati tool it has a built in artifact scanner, i liek to oc with rivar tunner and then test with ati tool.

whats an artifact scanner?

and ati tools doesnt work for me for some reason. something about kernel module not being identified or something. how to fix?

no, its dependent on the game and such. and that was just to say that if you increase the clock speeds just a bit it will run faster. really you don't see a whole lot of improvement in game, like if you see choppiness now, it will decrease and get smoother, but really the only reason to overclock is cause you're bored or are running benchmarks.

like when i am playing a higher grade fps, if i look really fast to the left, right, up or down, the objects and people get a bit disorted. or when there are smoke effects there seems to be choppiness.

so i ma overclock when i get back from work today. Mind if i aim you if you are still on tonight?

and ati tools doesnt work for me for some reason. something about kernel module not being identified or something. how to fix?

like when i am playing a higher grade fps, if i look really fast to the left, right, up or down, the objects and people get a bit disorted. or when there are smoke effects there seems to be choppiness.

so i ma overclock when i get back from work today. Mind if i aim you if you are still on tonight?

yea i have the same questions

an artifact scanner just scans for artifacts on the gpu. when a gpu's clock isn't stable it produces artifacts which just appear as like glitches in the picture.

and i won't be on much tonight, but tomorrow i'll be around all day but yeah feel free to drop me an IM tonight just so i have your sn and i'll drop an im by if you're on tomorrow or something. but yeah i would download fraps, just the free version, and run it, and it will display your in-game FPS in the corner, and just watch that and see if when you make sharp movements like that the frame rates drop down. and if they do then overclocking your gpu might help you out with making that more smooth.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom