Upgrage And Optimize Cpu For Notebooks

Status
Not open for further replies.

fuerzas

Beta member
I am newly come here, and I need to do the following consultation to all the members of the forum.
I have a lot of experience in PC but none in Notebooks. For example, to the old women PC Pentium with socket 7, in certain models of motherboard, they podìa to update the BIOS to manage to place a more powerful processor, in general an AMD K6 the II 500 and this way to optimize the yield of an old PC simultaneously of lengthening his useful life.
I need to know in particular if there are models of Notebooks to it is possible to do the same, this is, to update the BIOS and that go on from 166 MHZ Pentium to AMD K6 the IInd 500 for example. Concretely, you mark and specific models. Thank you.:confused:

Sorry to say but your research is a bit off. There is no way someone went from a Pentium to a AMD chip. They are completely different socket types. There is no way a AMD chip fit into a Intel socket spot without replacing the whole mother board.

I am newly come here, and I need to do the following consultation to all the members of the forum.
I have a lot of experience in PC but none in Notebooks. For example, to the old women PC Pentium with socket 7, in certain models of motherboard, they podìa to update the BIOS to manage to place a more powerful processor, in general an AMD K6 the II 500 and this way to optimize the yield of an old PC simultaneously of lengthening his useful life.
I need to know in particular if there are models of Notebooks to it is possible to do the same, this is, to update the BIOS and that go on from 166 MHZ Pentium to AMD K6 the IInd 500 for example. Concretely, you mark and specific models. Thank you.:confused:

WHAT? you cant update your bios and go from a 166mhz pentium to a AMD k6

THIS IS MADNESS!

hehe

but yeah, reiterating what they said so i don't get smacked for spam, you can't change processor brands in the same motherboard.

Pentiums and AMD K6's are both socket 7 chips. Back then those cpus were interchangeable. On my first Pentium mb, I got a K6 266 for it and overclocked it to over 500mhz. Because of heat problems of laptops, installing a hotter cpu would be one of many reasons upgrading would be a waste of time.

With todays company specific processors, unless you are purchasing a new CPU within the same Socket family, you cannot upgrade CPU's. If they are the same socket type then you could upgrade, but as kurrent said there are a lot of other issues with doing this on a laptop. And usually if you are upgrading processors unless you have the dirt bottom of a socket type there won't be a huge gain in CPU speeds.

the k6's are so old and obselete that it doesn't make sense to do a change unless you have a sick obsession with like 98 or something..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom