New build. Won't boot. AHH! Helppp

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jayce

Fully Optimized
I got a new rig this evening and put it together.

Q8200
ASUS P5 P43 LGA775
4gb DDR2 800 G.Skill
650w Antec PSU
PNY Nvidia 9600GT PCIe 2.0
Seagate 500gb SATA HDD
Seagate 500gb SATA HDD
WD 250gb SATA HDD
WD 250gb SATA HDD

Okay...

I get the post screen. However, I can only get into BIOS if no hard drives are plugged in. If 1 or any of the hard drives are plugged in, BIOS never shows up.

I cannot boot to CD. I tried an Ubuntu Live CD that I know works cause I used it last week. It will not boot. I tried with JUST the DVD drive connected as well as the DVD drive + the HDD's too.

What can I do?

Okay. Update.

In my BIOS, ATAPI CDROM was listed. I figured it was just a generic name for my DVD ROM drive. Turns out, it wasn't. So I'm an idiot for not putting my official DVD ROM drive as my primary boot device. I have no idea where ATAPI CDROM came from, unless it's a generic name for my HP DVDRW.

However, the one thing I don't get is, at one point I tried to boot to my hard drive, yet it never prompted me with "no operating system found." It simply left me with a white flashing dash in the upper left. That's it.

Hmm.

All depends on how that motherboard's BIOS works. Some give a message and others will just do nothing.

I know this isn't the Linux forum, but I got everything to work except my Ubuntu install. XP installed fine but Ubuntu isn't recognizing my SATA controller whereas BIOS is...

Ahhhh the frills of troubleshooting.

Jayve check that topic. I responded with my personal experience.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom